I Scored A Trike!

The woman is a few bricks short of a full load if you know what I mean. She had it parked outside uncovered. Lots of rain fell on it. It would be an insult to rednecks to call her one!:rolleyes:

Terry

I feel like that sometimes. Maybe one day, I'll tell you guys about my '57 Chevy I left out in the rain for 6 years.

I found a pull starter at BikeBerry. Now I just need to pick up a few things then hit the road.

Yesterday, about 1/2 mile from my place an 18 year old girl was riding a dirt bike in the bike lane. A drunk driver took her out. She was pronounced dead at the accident site. She wasn't wearing a helmet but I don't think it would have helped any. The dirt bike burst into flames on impact. She was on fire too. She worked at our locale grocery store. So sad.

Terry

Last edited:
I found a pull starter at BikeBerry. Now I just need to pick up a few things then hit the road.

Yesterday, about 1/2 mile from my place an 18 year old girl was riding a dirt bike in the bike lane. A drunk driver took her out. She was pronounced dead at the accident site. She wasn't wearing a helmet but I don't think it would have helped any. The dirt bike burst into flames on impact. She was on file too. She worked at our locale grocery store. So sad.

Terry

On file ?

Witness: Driver was swerving over road
Woman was talking to 911 operator as Bronco hit teen
Posted: July 10, 2010 - 12:03am

By JUSTINE GRIFFIN
The last thing Tina Berry of St. Augustine, thought she would see on Thursday afternoon would be a fatal car accident.
Berry and her 14-year-old daughter Brittany were the first to witness the tragic accident that killed an 18-year-old woman on Wildwood Drive on Thursday afternoon.
She was driving home on State Road 207 from running errands in Palatka with her daughter when something strange happened.
A man in the red Ford Bronco in the lane next to her kept swerving dangerously close to her gold Ford Taurus, Berry said.
"When he pulled in front of me he continued to swerve all over the place," she said.
Berry decided to call 911 to alert law enforcement of the dangerous driving going on in front of her. Her plan was to follow him from a distance until a deputy could catch up with him.
"Once we turned onto Wildwood Drive, it got worse," she said. "He would swerve into the other lane and almost hit a work truck on the side of the road."
Right around the Coronado development at Winterhawk Drive, a young woman on a dirt bike was riding in the road without a helmet. Berry said she watched as Shae Lynn Burchfield attempted to make a turn onto Winterhawk Drive from the bike lane.
But she didn't make the turn.
The red Bronco struck Burchfield and sent her and the dirt bike skidding across Wildwood Drive, Berry said. The Record is not using the name of the driver of the Bronco, a 50-year-old St. Augustine man, because he has not been charged.
She watched from her car as the dirt bike erupted into flames, which caught Burchfield on fire.
"At this point I had forgotten I was on the phone with 911," Berry said. "I was yelling at my daughter to cover her eyes."
Just then, another car pulled over on the side of the road and the driver ran to help Burchfield, Berry said. The man was able to get her off of the road and used his shirt to extinguish the flames, she said.
The Good Samaritan was treated for burns on his hands from the flames once medics arrived.
Moments later, the driver of the Bronco "stumbled" from his car and over to the scene, Berry said. The Bronco traveled another 50 feet from the accident scene before stopping, she said.
"All I could do was yell at him to stay away from her," she said.
The driver of the Bronco gave his shirt to Burchfield and then stood silently by the road, Berry said. St. Johns Fire Rescue units and St. Johns County Sheriff's deputies arrived and put out the bike fire. Berry said they performed CPR on Burchfield, but it was too late.
"What a terrible, terrible thing," Berry said.
The incident is under investigation by the Florida Highway Patrol, which did not return calls Friday.

http://staugustine.com/news/local-news/2010-07-09/witness-driver-was-swerving-over-road

Wow! What a sad twist in this thread...::(
The poor girl had her whole life ahead of her, she even stayed in the bicycle lane where it "should" be safe.
The situation makes me wonder if a helmet even could have helped her....

I didn't really know her but as I said she worked in our locale grocery store. She was a very friendly outgoing girl that I always enjoyed seeing. The store is going to close so the employees can attend her funeral service.

Terry

rose-1.gif

Back On Topic

I bought the following items for the trike:

1. Pull Starter
2. A 24 LED light for the back end
3. Already had a 55 watt off road light for a headlight!
4. Fuel filter
5. 12v motorcycle battery
6. That long antenna type thing with a orange flag on it

I should be on the road real soon. I just need to run the wiring to the battery and switch. Also have to figure out a problem with the starter. The starter problem is explained in the Shop Talk Section.

Terry

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your "townie" The girl did have the rest of her life ahead of her.

Cool accessories you're getting!

I can taste the cold beer at Sunset Grill now! :)

I fired her up today. I'm gonna have to play with the carb though. It runs fine but won't idle.

Terry

The carburetor is screwed.
Just turn the screw in a little, it's on the left side.

Back