Carby Idle getting lower and lower

Again, i cant touch the bike. I cant machine the manifold for a o ring.
Im going to try these ideas on monday. Ill try the tape on the manifold+ outside of where the carb goes on first.

Hello!
UPDATES

What I have done so far: I put tape around the carb clamp and the intake manifold, just so theres no air escaping. I haven't wrapped the whole thing, don't worry.

I am having EXTREME 4 stroking. When I stay at a constant RPM it's like a 4 stroke engine at low RPM. but not when I accelerate.

I had to take the black airbox, because i leveled my engine, and the bike frame doesn't have any space for it- so I may be blocking the air from getting in by using the little flat plastic, and some screws to tighten the foam filter to the carb directly.

Hello!
UPDATES

What I have done so far: I put tape around the carb clamp and the intake manifold, just so theres no air escaping. I haven't wrapped the whole thing, don't worry.

I am having EXTREME 4 stroking. When I stay at a constant RPM it's like a 4 stroke engine at low RPM. but not when I accelerate.

I had to take the black airbox, because i leveled my engine, and the bike frame doesn't have any space for it- so I may be blocking the air from getting in by using the little flat plastic, and some screws to tighten the foam filter to the carb directly.
It sounds like you got the air leak fixed and now she's running rich. what is the elavation where you live? You may need to jet smaller. You may also consider a offset intake to allow for a air filter.

I live about 115m-145m high from sea level (377-475ft)

I got 2 carbs, so what I did is got the black piece from the old engine (The thing in the airbox that keeps the filter in there)

1536999053372.png

and cut all the plastic out, so its just the outside part, and the 2 screw holes. Then i put some washers so I don't squish the air filter foam part. Then I put the other black flat thing on the outside, and screwed it on. So I gave it an extra milimeter or two. It runs better, but still s**t.

1536999455801.png

(Yes, I know, I'm an amazing artist. The tape is all the way to the end on the carb clamp,covering all cuts. It is rolled around it about 3 times. Where the air filter goes, the black things are on the other picture (I drew the one that I cut out, the top one is not cut)

ENGINE IDLE UPDATE: My idle is weird again. I do not have super fast idle now. I put my C Clip at the leanest position. (4 places to put it)
It starts out normally. It idles at an OK speed. Then begins to slow down. And I have to rev it sometimes so it doesn't die. But if I rev it, it starts dropping down faster and dies in a couple of seconds.

Last edited:
Do you guys know any other air leak locations other than where the carb goes on the manifold, because I am still having idle problems. It starts out OK, and dies in half a min.

Do you guys know any other air leak locations other than where the carb goes on the manifold, because I am still having idle problems. It starts out OK, and dies in half a min.
There are many places that can leak air,crank seals,case gasket's,base and head gasket's even the exhaust gasket but if your idle is dropping it's not an air leak as an air leak will lean out the mix and idle high not low!As the engine come up to running temp the idle will naturally drop so if you set your idle cold or at first stat up of course it's going to drop as you run a bit.The low idle at temp can be tricky to keep running and giving gas can actually put to much fuel for the engine to overcome at low rpm!

Actually, what I meant is. I tune my idle when it's hot. (15-20 mins of ride time)

Then the idle is running fine. And it begins to slow down untill the engine dies. But it starts out fast or medium.

Sometimes the idle is a bit higher. For example I'm going 3000 RPM and when I press the clutch in it is going faster, or the same speed, but then it slows down and dies again..... Any speed it is going at it will start slowing down. And eventually die. It sounds like it's also struggling to idle sometimes.

Actually, what I meant is. I tune my idle when it's hot. (15-20 mins of ride time)

Then the idle is running fine. And it begins to slow down untill the engine dies. But it starts out fast or medium.

Sometimes the idle is a bit higher. For example I'm going 3000 RPM and when I press the clutch in it is going faster, or the same speed, but then it slows down and dies again..... Any speed it is going at it will start slowing down. And eventually die. It sounds like it's also struggling to idle sometimes.
What heat range plug are you using?

if it speeds up with clutch pulled your clutch is dragging a bit

Back