ignition coil question

that bike is...how old?

wow... give us a full pic!

um. yeah...

the magneto generates electrizzity in the coils youll see behind the magneto. if it only has one coil in there it will definitely be dirt only, two usually means ones a generator for lights battery chargin etc.

the points are closed and power generated travels to the ignition coil.(what you are missing!) this builds up a large magnetic field in the coils core.

the points then open, the magnetic field collapses super fast, and creates a high tension "back" EMF, or voltage... there is then a secondary coil over the first one, with heaps more turns. it transforms the high emf in the primary coil to an even higher emf, that then goes to the spark plug.

its very simple :)

all you need to worry about is the coil, the points and possibly the condensor.

if you cant find a manual with the schematic, (a quick google shows its hard...) get a multimeter. one end earthed, check each wire while turning the engine over(slowly, by hand). the one that turns on and off is the one! usually red... ;) or pink? otherwise use a light bulb, and turn it over fast!

check the points BEFORE doing the continuity test, otherwise you might find nothing happens... :(

if you order a coil absolutely ANY coil from a NON-CDI type bike will work. so dont spend too much just cus its model specific...honda, zuki, kwaka, whatever... 84 and earlier.

you can even gut a 9v transformer and that would work! briefly...they arent designed for it :(

have fun learning about dwell, advance, retard, and theres another one...ohh! dirty points...

Last edited:
Thanks HeadSmess, I appreciate the information. Kwaka... ha, that's funny, never heard that. Is it cas it sounds like kaka, like poop, cas I heard they're not so great bikes, but I don't care, this bike looks sick and its so simple. I'll post a pic of it soon.

Mine is a 1973, with 1200 original miles. i'll post a full pic of it later when I get home from work.

I think you should be looking on dirtbike forums for answers to this. The ignition systems on these bikes are completely different, even if your bike used a CDI it would be completely incompatible.

Also, a stator doesn't fire the ignition, it applies charge to the entire electrical system, including the headlight. Those wires go to a rectifier which turns the A/C signal into D/C which can be used by the electrical system.

kwaka! grrr! as in a "kwakasaki"

i quite like kawasaki...so they maynt be at the top of the leaderboard anymore but they make solid reliable bikes. and the old gpz series were reknowned for being completely indestructible... and were at the top of the boards back in the 80's... gimme a ninja over an r1 anyday :)

Back