Introduction and First Build

tallpaul0579

Local time
7:34 AM
Hello Everyone,

My name is Paul and I have been lurking around this site for some time now taking in the information and figuring out whether or not I want to take the plunge. Well it seems as though this (like kayak fishing) has become something that I cannot kick so I plan on starting my first build. I am a big guy (6'7" 240lbs) and want my first build to be a friction drive and I want to do it as economically as possible just to get my feet wet. I have a Gary Fisher Wahoo mountain bike (XL frame) with front suspension and am getting a smother tire for the rear. This is what I think I am going to buy:

1) BMP friction kit with 1.25 roller. I was looking at Staton, but the BMP kit is a little cheaper even with ordering the cables, throttle, and kill switch and seems to be quality. Anyone who owns this kit with the same roller, please chime in

2) Motor - I keep going back and forth on this (still considering HF auger motor) but I saw the monsterscooterparts 49/52 cc engine with clutch for $119. This seems like a steal but IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFO on this motor let me know. I wouldn't mind getting the harbor freight water pump motor, but I don't want to wait 4-6 weeks for the clutch assembly.

What kind of speed can I expect out of this setup and do you guys think this is a good start? It looks like I will be spending in the neighborhood of $325 when it is all said and done. Also, will I need anything else that I haven't mentioned in order to have a complete kit? Thanks in advance guys, I am really enjoying the site!!!!!!!!! - Paul

Back