iRide's Old Schwinn

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by iRide Customs, Oct 17, 2007.

1. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Here's what I did with that little unsafe engine that was on the death trap pixie bike that I was riding unsafely when I needed a haircut and some new clothes.

Did I do ok this time dad (Ol'Pete)??

Attached Files:

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

cool job on the mount
    nice ol' schwinn too (not as squirley as the little bike)
    man, I wish I was as talented as you, instead of just being a grumpy old dude
    :lol::lol:

3. beach cruzin

beach cruzin Guest

now thats coool i like the bike..i mean it's not a iride custom but neat old schwin nice.....for a long hair...lol-lol

4. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Nice Rack!! ;-)

very clean build. and a schwinn to boot!!
    I approve!!! :cool:

tell us how it performs

5. JE

JE Guest

Sweet Ride Dan.Can't wait to see it in person.

6. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Thanks guys! She runs like a champ! I have been trying different engage/disengage systems so it can come to a stop without killing the engine. I only got to ride it for about 30 min. today before it started raining. For those of you who have friction drive bikes, I sure you know why I couldn't ride anymore:rolleyes:

There is another draw back to this little engine...tank size. Looks like I am good for about 10 or 15 miles at the most. I will have to rig a different tank before it's even close to road worthy.

Dan

7. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

good job dan! what kinda speeds ya gettin!

8. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

On a good run flat out about 28-30mph. I think it's like a 22cc four stroke. I'm going to do some more fine tuning to get it to work a little better. The drive wheel slips a little when I give it full throttle at low speeds. A knurled shaft might solve that problem. I'd like to buy another 2 stroke weed eater an give that a try. I think they're only like $169 for a 28cc or 33cc at Home Depot...can't remember the exact displacement. They also have one that has the pull starter on the opposite side as the output shaft...that would be much better than a friction start IMO.

Dan

9. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

That looks good Dan. Not as humorous as the little one, but I bet it rides a bit easier.

10. Ryobi weed eater

Hi Dan, I have a weedeater like that came from sears maybe 10 years ago? 4-stroke somewhere between 48-50cc the one I have. Sounds like a little Honda 50 motorcycle engine.
    Mike

11. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

iRide's old Schwinn UPDATED!

A buddy of mine and I brainstormed for 15 or 20 min and came up with this slick little idea. It uses a regular bicycle brake lever and it has a feather light pull. The engine drive wheel comes up off of the tire about 1/4''. It acts exactly like a clutch on any motorcycle, or happy time engine. You can pull up to a stop sign, pull the clutch lever and the engine just purrs like a kitten until you let the clutch out and give her some gas.

The cool thing about this project is that the 4 stroke weed whacker cost me $25, the bike was free, the materials used to make the mount were about a total of $10 and I plan on buying new tires for $20. That's a grand total of about $55 for a 30 mph, whisper quiet, 4 stroke friction drive bike.

Here's a pics and a video link...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l86_4sAzRI

Attached Files:

12. drimpact

drimpact Member

That is a wonderful idea. Very slick! I love seeing everything you come up with!

I am going to use that idea on my next project...

13. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

What a nice elegant design. I love the simplicity of the engine lifting mech too. I've got a Raleigh 20 I want to fit an old Homelite ST100 weedwacker engine to and I would very much like to 'borrow' your design ideas if I may.

14. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Please do! Make sure to post pics.

Dan

15. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

Great job on the tire clutch! It's a nice simple way to utilize cheap engines without rotary clutches!

16. Thanks for bumping this ZR! iRide that is perfect!
    Why I didn't see that before i don't know.

17. h0tr0d

h0tr0d Member

Pure genius!

18. TwoWalks

TwoWalks Member

Now my wheels are spinning, Huuuuuuuuum :cool:

19. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

That is is a great solution
    Where did you get the long spring from?
    How much is it stretched? What was the unstretched length?

how does the nut behind the strut top pivot point clear the bracket?
    or is the stud brazed on?

Another detail pic would be appreciated
    thanks