Iron cylinder break-in

CuriousJojo100

Local time
6:31 PM
So I’ve ordered a new 49mm iron cylinder. I ported it and made sure NOT to skirt the piston. I instead lower the bottom of the intake port 3mm and went 1mm wider with the with on each side. I made sure the bottom of that port was a lot more squared off than it was previously. I removed the overlapping metal in the transfers at the port exit near the bottom of the cylinder. I took away some of the metal inside the exhaust side of the port openings so that the angle going toward the exhaust port would be reduced. I also went up 2mm on the exhaust port roof and squared off that port roof a lot more than it was as well. I used some 1500 grit sandpaper to give the transfers the exhaust port a nice shiny fininish. The intake was left rough. Lastly, I used my dremel to grind down the welds inside my header pipe and made the pipe opening and gasket the same shape as the exhaust port. I made sure any transitions were as smooth as possible. I used some non-ethanol gas and conventional 2 cycle oil at a 20-1 mix for break-in. Do iron cylinders take longer to break-in than the conventional nickel plated china girls? I have a 4 liter tank so I threw out my old “5 fuel tank” logic as far as break-in goes

Thank you. It’s running amazing so far. I swapped the delorto clone for a bofeng with a #68 jet. Better idle and the responsiveness matches the Delorto.

Back