Is this the engine I need?

yep, that's why I sell motors - if the customer can't fix it himself, my labor charge even at just $20/hour makes a whole new motor cheaper than repairs plus parts many times
Last time I tried to extract a bolt I broke off my extractor. I don't have a good drill and my dremel died a couple weeks back, so I'm a little limited in what I can do on the balcony of my apartment.

Nothing wrong provided the case, cylinder, head, crank and piston are quality I suppose.

I just can't see paying $100 for just an engine you feel you have to break open, take apart, buy and install new 'quality' parts, and reassemble hoping it don't leak when you can just buy one for like $120 you don't have to dink with at all.

I was talking about entire kits for $100, something if not most everything has to be 'short cut' parts.
Fine for the hobbyist with just one or 2 builds and time.

A total profit killer if you fix them for free and don't care for repeat business or referrals.

When it really matters, the better parts are worth the extra money, but like Harbor Freight tools, sometimes you can score a bargain if you get the use you need out of it before it fails is my opinion.
Fortunately This is my only build and I won't be trying to turn a profit at all. And I would be tearing down any motor I bought. I used to work on and ride snowmobiles before I moved to California. Problem was, I rode vintage sleds. Stuff you can't just buy a new jug or motor for. So I never attempted any mods at home, at least nothing like porting or designing/building a tuned pipe or going from piston port to reeds. With as cheap as the parts are for these, to me, it's pretty disposable stuff and I want to experiment. I'm also about two weeks from starting school again for Auto CAD/machine tool tech, so hopefully I'll have more resources.

I did end up ordering that motor and jug I linked. I'll let you guys know how it all goes.

p.s. I'm on my way to harbor freight to get some hand files right now.:whistle:

The engine I bought for under $100 on eBay has over 3,000 miles on it and I've only had to replace the wrist pin & bearing, jug, piston & rings and CDI (from another engine) also upgraded the spark plug and wire. Also the rear mounting bolts. I usually mount as is and if something goes I replace it which is usually bolts (cheap arse 4.4 grade).

Back