jaguar cdi setup

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by jatgm1, Sep 5, 2016.

1. jatgm1

jatgm1 Member

i just ordered a jaguar cdi, it should be here somewhat soon, anyone else that has experience with the jaguar cdi, can you explain how you adjusted it and your experiences?

2. Mikekline

Mikekline New Member

Yeah i just bought it and its a joke... litrally read the fine print lol the installation page

Attached Files:

3. jatgm1

jatgm1 Member

so because you need to splice or add a wire its a joke..

4. jatgm1

jatgm1 Member

this is the issue with people today. no critical thinking skills. "wire wont fit, must not work." if you want something idiot proof get the stock cdi. plus, it specificly says you need to bolt one of the connectors on, if the coil has no way to bolt it then u need to splice a terminal connector where the "big circle looking connector" is. im sure you'll understand that. and a terminal connector is the "squareish looking connector". go to radio shack and get a female connector to add to it.

5. butre

butre Well-Known Member

so because you're using a different coil than it's designed for, it's broken and doesn't work?

get a spade connector, they're about 7 cents a piece

6. jatgm1

jatgm1 Member

right? i ask for advice from members about the fine points of the jaguar cdi and get some half-a-tard complaining because he has to pick up a pair of pliers and pay an extra 2 dollars. not everything in life is plug and play, these are the kind of people that should just get a motoped. literally the only adjustable gas bike cdi and it sucks because he has to add a connector.

7. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

Jatgm1, just leave the left switch as is and play with different positions of the right switch till you get the best top speed.
    There's nothing more to it than that. very simple.

8. Tbailey5

Tbailey5 Guest

I purchased a Jaguar CDI unit about three years ago. I was running it on a stock 66cc motor. Before installing it, I spent time jetting the carb and got it running pretty good. Plug was brownish and I was getting an honest 30-35 mph out of the stock bike. After a few weeks of riding it stock and getting a good feel for the performance I installed the new CDI system. I left the old system bolted to the frame for quick comparison. I even ran wires to the inside of the J-CDI box so I could change the bridges quickly. I then ran a series of top end (max speed) comparisons and a series of 0-25mph comparisons. It is very possible that my testing methods were not precise enough but I was unable to tell if there was any difference. I did find one bridge combination that was noticably worse but I could not feel a noticeable difference on the other ones. Is it possible the J-CDI works better with a modded engine or maybe an engine with a pipe? I want to add, that now I have a second bike built that is a twin to the first one and I want to revisit the J-CDI and do a bike to bike comparison. I hope that someone will take the time to share their experience with the J-CDI and the set-ups that they are using it on. I am not saying this product does not give enhanced performance. But rather, using my set-up and testing procedure I was not able to produce a noticeable difference. I am also looking for suggestions on how I might set the bike up differently to benefit from the J-CDI. Regards.

9. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

yes the more performance oriented an engine is, the more it responds to timing changes.
    the stock engine has a crummy carburetor and a low compression head.
    For some engines the biggest difference with the Jaguar CDI is more regularity in combustion and less engine heat. Also the connecting rod bearings last longer.
    Also the current Jaguar CDI design is a bit better than it was 3 years ago.

10. Tim Bailey

Tim Bailey New Member

Jaguar, Yes that tends to make sense. After my testing I blew a head gasket and realized there were two gaskets installed from the factory so low compression my have been a contributor. I now have a pipe on both bikes. I chose this one as it looked similar to the design on the dragonfly page, it was low cost and I like the way it looks when tucked under the seat. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAST-Expans...992549?hash=item35d6cc7e25:g:Pg8AAOxyPFJTlwpo I made my own "transition block" between the cylinder and pipe to take the rectangle exhaust port down to the round pipe.
    I also run NT speed carbs. It appears the throat is a little larger in diameter than stock and again they are cheap. Finally, I made my own intake manifolds as I needed to clear the seat post. Very similar to stock but about 6 inches long.
    Is there a recommended supplier for the CDI?
    Are the other pipes out there far superior?
    Which carb do you recommend?
    Thanks

11. Tim Bailey

Tim Bailey New Member

Here are a few picks hoping that others might chime in on what works and what doesn't especially in regards to pipes, carbs and manifolds. Also, not sure if I was right by posting full size images, please advise. Thanks

IMG_0219.JPG IMG_0217.JPG IMG_0218.JPG

12. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

only problem with having a long intake manifold made of metal (instead of using rubber automotive hose) is that the carb will shake even more from the engine vibrations. Of course if you've balanced the crank then it would be ok

13. Tim Bailey

Tim Bailey New Member

Balancing will be coming soon. I plan to lighten the wrist pins and possibly drilling the crank while in the engine. I assume these mods have been done by others and the results are pretty much all the same? I will also do minor port work such as matching block to cylinder, remove casting ridges in transfer ports, radiusing, etc.

14. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

match the transfer ports opening left and right sides.
    you'll love the freedom from vibration after you drill the crankwheels.
    I am only selling my CDI direct now, no more distributors.
    my carb suggestions are on my site.
    I really don't like any of the offered pipes. None are designed for a wide powerband for a one speed ride.
    I'd rather use the stock pipe than an aftermarket expansion chamber.

15. Nope i was wrong its a good cdi

16. Lol id like to see you call me a half tard in real life.... lmao everybody a over opinionated tough guy online.... ohh im a continuous welder at durabond pipe soo how am i a half wit what becuase i dont understant wiring...? What do yo do for a living...

17. Tbailey4

Tbailey4 Guest

Do you feel the dimensions of the E-chamber on the dragonfly page works well with the 66cc that were talking about?

18. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

T, no one on this thread has made the torque pipe except me and I can tell you for sure it's a great design.

19. jatgm1

jatgm1 Member

fix computers, phones, electronics in general, and lawn mowers. welding is the back up choice of jobs, kinda like the equivalent of a real estate agent in the world of makers and fixers. you do your thing, but when a post asks how to set something up, something that this entire forum and multiple other forums related to grubee engines hold in high reguard, and "its a joke" because you cant figure it out, thats a real sheeple move.

20. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

c'mon you two, give it a rest.
    Mike did have a legitimate complaint- one connector wasn't correct. If you spend $70 for something you expect to be able to use it without having to modify it.