Japanese 2-stroke -OR- 4-stroke for 700 Mile, One-Way Ride?

For my trip, should I go with:

• 2-STROKE

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • 4-STROKE

Votes: 29 80.6%

• Total voters
Ever hear of keeping things as light as possible, tweaking the gearing to be higher than normal, and leaning out the fuel/air mixture??

That's what I do. My bike, which I can still pedal with ease, doesn't weigh more than 40 lbs.

My buddy has a Go-Ped Riot w/ GP460 engine... it's got like 8" or 10" tires... he changes out the drive shaft sprocket from a 7 tooth to a 9 tooth and can reach a top speed close to 55 mph.

If you want faster speed.... the answer is simple --
- increase teeth on drive shaft sprocket
- decrease teeth on wheel sprocket
- increase tire diameter.

I assure you that 43 mph on a chain-driven 29'er would be possible with ANY 2-stroke. And just for the record, my 33cc was advertised to be 1.6 hp, since it's a Tanaka knock-off.... not 1.25 hp.

You seem to have many setups, all with completely different engines. When increasing tire size, and keeping the engine & gearing the same... what were your results?

My 20" Dahon w/friction drive and 1.6hp Subaru went 27mph. It was my first MB. The primary reason for moving to 26" bicycles was for safety reasons. The different engines were progressively stronger, from 1.6hp to 2.2hp to 5.5hp(two 2.75hp Mitsubishis w/pipe) to 5hp GP460 engine w/pipe.

Back