Jesterbox's First Project thread (newbie)

Jesterbox

Local time
3:44 AM
Hello, (not sure if I'm posting in the right category, sorry if that's the case) I've decided to make a little project thread where I'll be trying to get some guidance with my first bicycle upgrade.

So, basically I just learned the other day that you can turn a bicycle Into a motorized vehicle of awesome-ness and self transport. I'm good at putting stuff together (bicycles and stuff) but have no engine experience, and a dad whose really handy with lawn-mowers and minor car repair, who can help me.

I'm starting to look around for answers about a lot of stuff concerning where to begin.

I've got a bicycle that I got from a Wal-mart about a year ago for about 60 bucks. It's 26' but I feel like at 30+ mph It'd kill me. ( the main thing I think would have me hitting the pavement are the breaks and wheel which got bent a little going off a sidewalk curb). The frame is sturdy, it's a V frame, but I'm not sure how accomadating it would be for an engine.

Here;s the bike
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1977659

So, basically I'm In the the market for either new brakes and strong tires or a sturdy bike around maybe $100-$200.

Just trying to take this one step at a time, so I guess I ask about engine stuff when the time comes.

Thank you for your time!

That frame probably is adequate. The bent wheel won't work, but they're easily replaced.

I wouldn't go 30 mph on that, though.

But I wouldn't go 30 on any bike. If that sort of speed is important to you, then it might be that you'd be better off on something other than a motor assisted bicycle. Moped, motorcycle, something like that.

I think I might be in the minority on that one. I think there are folks here who do speeds like that regularly. But I'd advise you not to do it. It's just begging for trouble.

But these MBs are an awful lot of fun. Join us. I doubt if you'll be sorry.

Good luck

Where speed comes I'd only go 30+ if I know I'm in the clear but on my commute there's a 45 mph road I'd need to get onto and an uphill 35mph road both of them can get busy and don't really have anywhere to drive on the side of the road. I'd like to be able to scoot out of them quickly to avoid Impatient drivers.

My school commute is only 3 miles, and my job about 6.

I don't know what kind of engine I'd need for that. I want to get a kit so I know I've got almost everything I need. Any recommendations?

Also are there any measurement of the bike I could take to ensure an engine would fit?

Where speed comes I'd only go 30+ if I know I'm in the clear but on my commute there's a 45 mph road I'd need to get onto and an uphill 35mph road both of them can get busy and don't really have anywhere to drive on the side of the road. I'd like to be able to scoot out of them quickly to avoid Impatient drivers.

What are the current laws regarding MBs in your state?

I see what you mean. In a crowded space, you'll want to be able to move. I can't argue with that. I'll add this advice, then; be very, very visible.

I'm reluctant to recommend a particular engine and drive train simply because what works for me might or might not work for you. There are different types available. You can learn quite a bit about them by reading threads in this forum.

That said, I have a 49cc two stroke, frame mount, chain drive. I've been very happy with it.

Current laws for Virginia, say if goes over 30 mph, then its a motorcycle, and I'd need a license but I can get an M designation added to my driver's with just a 3 day class. As far as being on roads, I need to stay to the right as much as possible when going slower than traffic unless turning left.

As for being visible I figured I'd get a bright orange backpack and put some reflective tape on it. I'm reluctant to drive at night, but if I knew I had to, I'd pick up some mounted lights or something. heck, maybe strap a couple flash lights on.

I'm off to find an engine that will fit my bike.

Newbie..... AWAAAY!

Anyone know what kind of engine can carry a 190 lb guy uphill at at least 30-35?

I weigh more thn you and I can keep that kind of speed on a moderate hill (with a run up) with my GXH50.

I have no safety qualms about those speeds, but I have very heavy duty wheels, 3 brakes and a lot of other stuff built tough.

Back