Jim's 1937 Columbia replica, with 66cc Flying Horse engine

Today, I returned home and for the first time, mounted my Flying Horse 66cc engine and I am very disappointed with how un-level the carb. is. The rear mount is solidly mounted and the engine is as low in the rear as possible (very near the chain guard) so, I'm not sure how to correct the tilting problem??

003.jpg

Add to that, the carb. is too close, and even under the horizontal tube, a full 1/2".. making the high performance air filter impossible to use.

001.jpg

I'm happy with everything else. I'm just not sure how to correct the tilted carb?

I wonder if I'm just overlooking something?

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated... :cry:

002.jpg

That's going to be a really nice machine! - Your front mount is a real improvement - strong, and good looking.

Thank you Art. I'm glad you like the design. All day, I've been working on how to mount this tank with the mock sides...... Everything is easy in concept..... It's the details that are difficult. I'm getting closer to the solution, but nothing is easy on this project!

Thank you Art. I'm glad you like the design. All day, I've been working on how to mount this tank with the mock sides...... Everything is easy in concept..... It's the details that are difficult. I'm getting closer to the solution, but nothing is easy on this project!
Ya, your way is considerably harder than what I did, looking good though.

Ya, your way is considerably harder than what I did, looking good though.

Thanks KC,

As I get more and more into this.... never having touched a bicycle for 50 years, I realize how difficult (maybe even impossible) this project would have been for me, without your helpful photos and advise. Your unselfish information has just been invaluable!

I looked at my calendar this morning and realized, I have 12 more days off from work. Hopefully, I will be finished with the project by then. Of course, as the company required, the Caswell will take a week to cure, in readiness for the ethanol. I laugh...... I take 3 days.... for every one of yours..... I'm SLOW in this unfamiliar world of MB building!

Birth of a gas tank

Just finished melting out the foam in my "sculptured" epoxy tank. I was a little apprehensive but it went well.

014.jpg

Mostly, because of the intention of installing a "baffle box" and adding a couple of brass fittings, I had intended to cut out the top of the tank anyway, but it was clear after pouring in the acetone, (by using the polyurethane white, large cell foam (from Lowes) the top would have to have been cut open, as the acetone melted the foam, but left a substantial amount of "gunk" behind, clinging to the walls. In a half hour's time, the walls were scraped clean. I would not be happy with the result, if it had not been for the very forgiving Caswell tank sealer, soon to be poured in.

016.jpg

Without sealing the tank, I don't have a final measurement, but this is one gallon, up to the top of the blue tape. So, I'll be just over 1 gallon, topped off.

019.jpg

Nice job.

Don't forget to put all your fittings and mount piece on with the big hole in the top.
Leave that for last once you know everything will mount it and function, then seal that puppy up ;-}

A gallon is good, I got 1.6 in mine.

Nice job.

Don't forget to put all your fittings and mount piece on with the big hole in the top.
Leave that for last once you know everything will mount it and function, then seal that puppy up ;-}

A gallon is good, I got 1.6 in mine.

Thanks

1.6 is amazing. My inner fiberglass tank seemed like a very easy way for me to go, (and it is manageable) but it is definitely a BIG commitment in time, trouble and still money. You were talking about how much your welded tank cost. Originally, I thought my tank would be $30-$40..... I have $12 in foam, $24 in glass cloth, $40 in epoxy, $45 in Caswell, $5 paint brushes, $8 in acetone, $30 in brass fittings w/ alum. cap..... So, even with a home made fiberglass tank, my bill is approaching $175. I would have never thought it possible!

Now, here is an interesting thought; after my three fittings are installed and the tank is sealed...... when I pour in the Caswell, I should be able to see it coating the inside of the tank because the fiberglass tank is translucent....

This process, is very tricky!!

Tank progress

The tank is coming along, slow but sure. Trying to get it ready to close but the "scratch-built" filler tube, two gas gauge fittings, petcock and "trap-door", all take time!

A shot of my epoxying in, a 1/8" lip for the access door to rest on before being glassing back in.

006.jpg

Four fittings epoxied in place..... So many decisions had to be made! :unsure:

009.jpg

Access door with baffle box ready to be glassed back in place. (am I really ready?)

011.jpg

Looks great!
Now would be a good time to test fit it again with side covers.

Back