just found a new engine- Pocket Bike rack mount?

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by revelstone, Jul 4, 2008.

1. revelstone

revelstone Member

does anyone see a problem with this working? as a frame mount.

Attached Files:

• 49.jpeg
      File size:
      120 KB

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

Should work -- why not --- yes, here we go --- in the old days the boys would throw just about any kind of engine on their paperboy racks -- and the fun was on !!! What kind of engine is that ? Looks pretty solid.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman
  3. revelstone

revelstone Member

it's a pocket bike motor. 49cc. don't know who makes it.
  4. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

If it runs as good as it looks -- clean -- would think that it's worth a shot... Let us know how this project comes along... Happy Riding from - Mountainman
  5. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I think your concern will be, "How wide is it?" It may well interfere with the pedals. Could work with a crank forward bike. Anything is possible. It's just a matter of how to make it work.
  6. stude13

stude13 Active Member

hi; i think that is the engine i ordered this week, if so it is a pull start 49cc for 99.00--scootercatalog.com they have a series of motors, clutches, and things that will work for our rigs.
  7. Torques

Torques Guest

How is that going to fit inside a "V" frame?
  8. Simon_A

Simon_A Member

Its a gen2 48cc aircooled pocketbike motor. Usual bounting is bolts through the bottom and the flange by the clutch housing. You can get away with just using the bottom mount.

They are wider than the happy time engines though. But quite usable.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  9. mark2yahu

mark2yahu Member

Oh man, that drive shaft is just screaming "hook me up to a 14 tooth sprocket and let's go!" :) ;)
  10. kerf

kerf Guest

The HT has an internal gear reduction that this engine doesn't. It was designed to run a much smaller wheel than bicycle wheels, so you're gonna need a jack shaft or a gear box.
  11. revelstone

revelstone Member

bettter option

so this might work better. i hope so or the old excuse it's just a bike might need some polishing :grin: that's cool my anniversery is coming up. :smile:

Attached Files:

• aa.jpeg
      File size:
      57.3 KB
    • bb.jpeg
      File size:
      50.4 KB
    • dd.jpg
      File size:
      74.6 KB
  12. kerf

kerf Guest

That's moving in the right direction. With a 26" wheel, shoot for between 18 and 20 to 1 final ratio, crank to hub.
  13. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

So now what will you do about the width issue?
  14. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Good question, 'van. Looking at that thing, depending on the frame, why can't it go high and forward? Clear of the pedal crank circle, idler/chain tensioner on the seat tube, left side drive sprocket?
  15. kerf

kerf Guest

You can always go back and high, believe me it works better.
  16. revelstone

revelstone Member

here's hoping

for $79 american, plus shipping, it better work.:confused: won't know for sure till i get it. was thinking the same thing as SimpleSimon, but i don't have any specs yet as far as size of the thing goes. wish i could find some before it get here. if your interested i found it here. 49cc Pit bike ATV Pocket bike Motor with Transmission. copy from 49cc to transmission and do a search in all categories on ebay. better hurry he only has 19 left.
  17. fastboy9

fastboy9 Member

Are you totally set on a frame mount?? Because if you wouldnt mind a rack mount, then there is instructions on how to put a pocket bike motor on a rack mount for a bike here: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=7996

Some guy has put a pocket bike engine (cag) in a frame mount though, its on here somewhere, I'll have a look for you.

The engines are pretty high performance engines, plus there are so many performance modifications you can do to this little screamers.

18. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Revelstone, pb engines are bargains, compared to $275+ Robins/Hondas/Mitsus/Tanakas. Ya just have to fab the throttle and tank.
    Right now I have a stock pb and a 10hp(supposedly)pb engine awaiting a donor bike. The HP one is bolted onto a Staton gear chain drive box, awaiting a donor bike. I'll prolly get restless, and fit it to the friction drive on my cruiser bike.
    Rack mounts are much easier to install that engine, especially with Staton products.
  19. stude13

stude13 Active Member

hi; i just bought the pcc tranny on ebay for 42.90 incl. shipping. well see. mitch
  20. revelstone

revelstone Member