Left side freewheel

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by Alaskavan, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

2. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Wow Van, That looks like alot of work and fortune to make it through the whole operation with out messing up something. There has got to be a better way.
    Doc

3. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Why not just buy one?

4. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I bought a couple of those HD Hubs myself, I just thought someone might br interested in it.

5. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Iride, how much do they run? Got a site?
    Doc

6. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

7. DougC

DougC Guest

I asked this question elsewhere, relating to building a linear-pedal bicycle. The discussion ran towards the Alenax Transbar bicycles, and the custom double-sided, double-drive rear hubs they used.

It was explained to me that the double-freewheel BMX hubs have the threads on the left side reversed--because the point of them is to allow mounting two different freewheels and use the wheel as a flip-flop. If you try to use the left-side of a double-side hub as a left-side drive, it'll come unscrewed. --Or rather,,,,, the left-hand side freewheel on a double-sided hub only works right when it's on the right-hand side. The left-hand side is not meant to be used as a left-hand side drive.

There are normal right-hand-only BMX hubs, and normal left-hand only hubs, and flip-flop hubs (that have right-hand freewheel threads on both sides) but nobody knew of any hubs that were both double-sided and opposite-threaded.
    ~

8. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

9. MtnGoat

MtnGoat Guest

10. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Thanks IRide for taking the time to look up the site. Is this site the cheapest you know of or the highest quality?
    Hope your feeling better. Your body brace looks alot better than mine. I'm jealous! Not!
    Will, this hub handle 3 HP ya think?
    Doc

11. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

MtnGoat,

The first IS a left hand thread and there is a special left hand freewheel that goes on it. Check the links again and read the description.

Dock,

That happened about a year and a half ago. Still lots of pain and there always will be. That's the price I pay for being stoooopid!

12. feelinright

feelinright New Member

The Dk hub would work on a single speed with a left hand freewheel and a right one too. The problem is the dk hub has a 14mm axle not 10mm. As far as I know only bmx bikes use 14mm axles. The rear end spacing might also be smaller 105 mm versus 130.

13. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

I ordered a LH FAT freewheel a couple of weeks ago and was sent a RH freewheel. It took me forever to get the guy to admit it wasn't a lefty. He even sent the wrong teeth on it. He did make it right with me so I won't mention his store. It was also supposed to be case hardened black and the one he sent was brass and chrome.
    Oh well.

14. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

I hope this isn't a common occurance Doc....i'm just starting to get into ordering things off the internet and these bad news stories don't build my confidence. :(

15. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

I truly believe that this guy didn't know the difference even if he does run a bicycle shop.
    He is a learn-ed person now. It was just a freak thing. Have faith and deal with big name shops when possible.