Lengthy, but fully serious, legal quandry.

huge hill climb difference in 49cc verses 66cc

I found after getting a 68.5cc motor kit that there is a huge difference in hill climbing ability between 1hp and 2hp. My 49cc Grubee could not get out of its own way and I had to help pedal up hills 25 degree slope and forget the really steep ones. But my 66cc unit goes right up the same hills with power to spare on the same 40t sprocket I was running before. So any way you can get more HP will help you get up and over any hills. I want to add an expansion chamber next that should help even more. I've noticed that the 4 strokes are gutless from a dead stop and weigh a ton, the power to weight ratio on a 2 stroke is much better, but the 4 strokes can run all day with no cool off periods. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Plus side for 4 stroke; they do not require a premix of fuel/oil, they seem to last longer and last longer in sustained loads.

Plus for two strokes; for $70 plus shipping you can carry a spare motor. Pretty cheap insurance.

I have plans for long distance running this year, too, and a spare motor is in the plans. Won't take up much space or add too much weight to a 4 foot trailer I'm building. I'm getting a 49 cc and swapping it out for the 66cc in it now. The 66cc will go in a plastic bag and into the trailer. It's mainly due to vibration I'm getting the 49cc. The bolt-on mods I have will assure I can still climb the hills around here but not having to deal with so much vibration is a good thing.

We have some loong uphills around here, Lucky Peak campground to Hilltop is one very long climb I'll be doing a report on, the other side of that climb is the second long climb from the Spring Shores turnoff back up the hill to Hilltop. These are very steep and long runs, mostly straight runs with very little turn. Second planned run is Boise to Bogus Basin, an 18 mile, over 3000 foot climb. Lots of switch backs on this climb.

I figure that if I can pull those hills there's nothing I couldn't handle.

Wow, good luck on your hill climbing - Bogus is going to be a tough climb. I'm looking forward to hearing a success story!!

Nice find Grug, I put those numbers up on the left side of the steering head (like where a motorcycle would have them). Might be a good idea to put a couple of Suzuki stickesr on the bike too.

Yeah I think I got too excited about buying it. That's probably why I bought this too.
28aa_1.jpg

Stickers will be forthcoming, but I'm considering hand painting it. It's actually new in package, can't wait to put it on.

Last edited:
Generally, the laws of the State you live in regarding your motor vehicle apply when you travel across country. Only when you change your residence, do you have to adhere specifically to the State's MV laws you are moving to.

For example, in Louisiana, as long as my Motor is under 50cc, I do not have to Register, Title, Tag or Insure my bicycle. If I were to travel to Texas or Mississippi or Arkansas on my Motorized Bicycle, I would take a copy of Louisiana's State Statute and Baton Rouge's City Ordinance regarding Bicycles to settle any disputes with "foreign" Police.

But, in Louisiana, a Motorized Bicycle under 50cc or 500 watts (for electric) is just a Bicycle and not considered a Motor Vehicle, so as long as my Bicycle's Equipment satisfies local law, the same "reasonable" application of local laws for a MV while traveling would apply while traveling by bicycle across several States.

The idea is that MV laws and other laws are so similar across the States, that requiring citizens that travel to register and license their vehicle in every state one enters would be an "undue burden" to the People.

There was a time when States like Tennessee did not require minimum liability insurance for MVs. When this was true, citizens from TN weren't ticketed in Kentucky for not having insurance. Now every State requires some form of minimum liability due to the overwhelming power of the Insurance Companies have over legislators Country-wide.

Once more and more People start using Motorized Bicycles, I have no doubt that legislators will be effectively lobbied by the Insurance Companies to change laws to force Motorized Bicycles to no longer be just a bicycle. Before long, you will have to have a liability policy for your 2 year old's Tricycle to ride IT on the Sidewalk...

Back