Little something I picked up on eBay

Might work but rope leaves debri and taps or metal will mark up the piston and other parts. If you screw a tap on a angled plug hole you all so create problems as it is pushing on the tap sideways but whatever works for you. Personally I like to do everything I do the proper way. Might be why after retiring I still have MANY customers wanting me to work on their bikes as they know I am anal about the way I do things and that is why thet keep cuming back after 30 or more years. The piston lock is not the main reason I bought this just one of the many reasons. I all so like to make it easier for myself. Yes each too there own and some can mess up a anvil with a rubber hammer. Then some have no business working on anything mechanical.
clean nylon rope of an appropriate size for the hole leaves no debris

Iam shor if you screw in the bit of plastic in and out a lot it to will leave s**t behind or being plastic it might leave half the tool in the motor if it brakes. In the end if the motors are put together and work it does not matter how you got there

It does not screw in you just put it in the hole so how is it going to get trash in the motor????? Yes you can rebuild a whole motor with a pair of vise grips and a screwdriver but what sort of work will you wind up with. As always do it how you want I do only one way the right way and the reason I have so many that still want me to work on their motorcycles even though I am retired as I only know one way to do things and that is the right way.

clean nylon rope of an appropriate size for the hole leaves no debris

Heck you can just pick up a piece of nylon rope and get trash off it so I know what it leaves in the cylinder. But do it how you want it is your motor I only do it the correct way on mine and customers.

<SOME SNIPPED> Yes you can rebuild a whole motor with a pair of vise grips and a screwdriver but what sort of work will you wind up with. As always do it how you want I do only one way the right way and the reason I have so many that still want me to work on their motorcycles even though I am retired as I only know one way to do things and that is the right way.

"It is a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word." Andrew Jackson

I guess I belong to the "more than one way to skin a cat" school.
I was on a "one lung" schooner on the Atlantic off
Chebucto Head when the engine took to pounding.
The owner/captain rebuilt the rod big end clearance with a jack knife and a 6" crescent wrench.
I was impressed, and grateful he had the skills.

While I too like to follow the correct procedure, I like learning from guys who think outside the box when the going gets tough.
Those guys are never flustered, always feel there is a way to solve a problem no matter how hard.
I've been lucky to work with people like that, and on occasions, catch their infectious ingenuity.

Steve

Last edited:
Why change doing something different when it has worked fine for 40 plus years????? If I where to walk in on someone working on mine which is almost never have been 500 miles away from home before and have a tire go bad and I walk in and they are using something to doing something they should not be doing or using the wrong tool I will come un glued. Maybe some like building motors with nothing but a screwdriver and a pair of vise grips but myself I rather user the proper tools. Why think out of the box if you have the correct tools?????????????? Like I say people do it your way I only know one way to do it and that is the right way with the right tools. I do not have anyone to go to when I have a problem I sit and figure it out myself. This is why my customers keep coming back many after 35 or more years. Guess that is the difference between a professional and a shade tree.

a piece of rope has been the standard way to do it since the IC engine was first developed. why change when it's worked fine for 150+ years?

engines aren't as delicate as you seem to think. if 6000 explosions a minute don't hurt it, what makes you think a bit of nylon will?

if people hadnt thought outside the box we would still be riding horses bareback...

actually, no, walking barefooted. someone had to break the first horse in. someone had to make the first footwear.

sure, it is fine to go off youre rocker if someone is using a shifter as a hammer and the shifter happens to be yours and the item being hammered is also yours, but if its someone elses tools, someone elses work...who cares?

sometimes you need 3 tyre levers but only have a pair. the end of a spanner comes in handy.

some people freak out when i tell them i change tubeless motorbike tyres with tyre levers and no machine... but they dont stop to think that you still use a tyre lever with the damn machine anyways! anyways, using those machines, it is just too easy to destroy a $300 tyre...one false move and crunch. damaged bead.

ha ha. nylon in the cylinder... i take the exact same approach...who cares about some nylon? adds octane for a few seconds!

few years ago, friend bought an RC engine, the starter stuffed up. we popped it apart, had a burr on this spring loaded pin. i told him to go return it, it should have a warranty... so, at the hobby shop, guy starts pulling it apart... "you arent going to clean the dirt off first?" i ask... then continued watching closely, making him all embarrassed as he fiddled and grunted... finally, say to my friend, sarcastically "told you this place was useless, should have just hit it on the grinder, at least it would be running again".

guy was like " i wouldnt do that, its a bit rough"... after using pliers on the drive collar? he was trying to tell me I was rough?

my reply, "its a tool and cutter grinder, not an angle grinder".

he finally gave up and just gave us a new engine to get us out of there :D

a piece of rope has been the standard way to do it since the IC engine was first developed. why change when it's worked fine for 150+ years?

engines aren't as delicate as you seem to think. if 6000 explosions a minute don't hurt it, what makes you think a bit of nylon will?

Then I guess instead of combination wrenches and sockets you still use a monkey wrench since you are still in the dark ages.

Back