Lube those gears!!!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Guest, May 13, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

My bike seemed to be vibrating a little more than usual (I know, How could I tell?) I double triple checked all the nuts, bolts and screws- nothin'!

Then I pulled the gear cover off. Even though I greased it before I ever ran it, after 250 miles or so, they were bone dry and the cover had a LOT of black metal dust on it/behind it.

After cleaning all of it out and re-greasing the gears....viola! vibrations gone.

Smoother than eva.

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

oh, you're just saying that because i was talking about checking mine :p

seriously, he's right: clean that compartment out as good as you can, then give the teeth of the gears a very light coating of the best gear-lube you have available.

a dab'll do ya...i use a q-tip and go around the whole gear tooth by tooth.

don't let any grease get anywhere else or you'll be posting a question about a slipping clutch next :lol:

3. npk1977

npk1977 Guest

Any specific grease recommendations? I'm not a gearhead, so brands and model numbers are greatly appreciated :)

In regards to cleaning the compartment, how does one clean it?

TY for your help! n

4. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

5. Herrmanator8

Herrmanator8 Guest

first of all bikeguy...its voila not viola lol :grin: jk

what gonna be doing soon on my bike is on the gearbox cover, directly above the space where the two gears meet, im gonna drill a whole, create threads with a screw tap, then im gonna put in a grease nipple which looks like this:
    [​IMG]

with this, every few miles i can fill the gearbox with lithium grease by using a grease gun, by doing this, i wont have to take my gear box as often.

i think its a good idea, jon

6. azbill

azbill Active Member

might not be such a good idea... :shock:
    all thats needed is a small bit of grease (about the size of a navy-bean (thanks SrDavo)applied where the gears mesh), any more than that and expect your clutch to start slipping badly :cry:
    the grease will migrate to the dark side and you will be cleaning clutch pads :cry:

7. Herrmanator8

Herrmanator8 Guest

well, i see what you mean...but, i could get one thats extended like this:

[​IMG]

by using this, if its too long i can cut it shorter but the lengh to where its just above where the gears meet and two or three pumps with the grease gun and voila, its greased :grin:

jon

8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

2 pumps would be too much, imo...also, eventually you have to open it up anyway to clean out the dust/shavings/grease "mud" that accumilates in the corners. while it's a neat idea, i think you may be asking for possible clutch trouble...again, just my opinion.

let us know how it goes, i love pleasant surprises 8)

9. spunout

spunout Member

whether it works for you or not, kudos for thinking outside the box 8)
    Happy :mrgreen:

10. Herrmanator8

Herrmanator8 Guest

ill have to get the right parts, i might be able to do it this weekend. im not shure. if it doesnt work ill just take it out and plug the whole :grin:

jon

11. azbill

azbill Active Member

good luck, and keep us informed on how it goes
    just a little off topic, how important is the gasket on the large cover? Mine ripped and I don't want to cut a new one everytime I lube up :eek:

12. mefonz

mefonz Guest

I would not think the gasket being torn would hurt it :eek:

13. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

only gaskets i have left are:
    head gasket
    original (yes, original) exhaust gasket
    homemade intake gasket (which i can scissor-out by eye, ask beach cruzin)

everything else is high-temp rtv only.

Herrmanator8, back to you...

14. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

Man guys ,my motor must be the exception to the rule, when I built it I took a hand full of wheel bearing greese and packed that cover....that has had to have been 250 miles ago and I have no clutch slipage as of yet

15. mefonz

mefonz Guest

After reading this, I have not checked mine :shock:

Need to get some grease and dab some in there. :grin:

16. I don't have any grease... I do have a clutchbox full of grey metal shavings - I guess that's why my engine is so freaking noisy. I'll have to hit autozone and get some new gasket material and a can of axle grease.

17. Herrmanator8

Herrmanator8 Guest

i think its best to keep atleast the bottom part so that oil doesnt drip out, maybe some liquid gasket might be a good temporary seal (i wouldn't recemmond it.) Does anyone know where i can get some QUALITY gasket? that cheap chinese stock gasket blew on my first mile... :???:

jon

18. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

the gasket is mainly to keep crap out of your gears....ever been to a beach?....sand gets everywhere! dirt too.
    you don't need two pumps with a grease gun.....a little dab, every couple months...(your mileage may vary)
    there are 5 bolts to take the gear cover off.
    gasket or not.....put a dab of grease in there.
    5 to 10 minutes...time well spent.

sorry for ranting.....
    ......not really :lol:

19. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

I think the extended grease zirk is a good idea but you only need 1/8th pump on the grease gun and thats the little gun. Wouldn't be a bad idea to open and clean every 500 miles or so. The initial greasing is probably the most important.
    Just my 1.75% of a cents worth. 8)
    Doc

20. Herrmanator8

Herrmanator8 Guest

i guess your right, after my first hundred miles (20 miles away) ill take the engine off and clean the piston all the gears inside the engine case, i plan on degreasing the engine and painting my engine black with high temp paint, but ill also try the grease nipple just for kicks and if it works ill put some grease in every 50 miles or so just to keep performance high and keep the metal shavings to a minimum. im thinking about buyin a siezed engine for cheap just for parts whenever i have a problem.

jon