magnetic oil drain plug

M

mickal1025

this thread is a question. i have a 4 cycle Geo motor without an oil filter. would it do any good to make or try and find a magnetic oil drain plug? or is all the metal in the oil going to be aluminum? my Pilot has 2 i believe. 1 in oil pan and 1 in rear dif. when you change the oil you wipe the filings from magnet.

I've been using strong rare earth magnets that fit exactly the end of the oil drain nut on the HS and fit even better on the Honda GSX50. After a dozen oil changes on several motors I have only ever noticed residue on the HS drain plug. Even that was barely noticeable and dissapeared after the second oil change. The first oil change on all motors is undertaken after 1 hour of use and then every 450 kms.
IMHO I don't think it makes any difference, although it's a good marketting detail, but you can get the perfect sized rare earth magnets from:
http://aussiemagnets.com.au/
The little rare earth magnets are strong enough to suck a spanner out of your hand but I don't think they are needed on a Honda. They are, however, quite efficaceous for the rhumatism in my ankles as I pedal the bike!
A better idea is to make the oil plug into a hose fitting so you can drain the oil easily and the way to do that is shown in a thread somewhere in the 4 Stroke section.

Back