Mechanical sustainability with large engines?

I recently put a Staton gear drive with a 33.5cc Subaru on an older steel frame. I have driven that bike more miles recently than the bike has probably seen in its entire life. In many instances, I hit rough road bumps at higher speeds than I had ever encountered at pedal power speeds. To that point alone I would anticipate extra wear and tear. I would agree with your mechanic in that you can't expect a "plug and play" vehicle, you'll have to experience its mechanical needs, make adjustments and maintain vigil for extra wear points. Sounds like fun...just do it.
-Mike

Interesting. Thanks.
Kerf, whether or not one ultimately gets what one is seeking has little to do with whether or not it is done with hostility. The food might still be good, even if the waiter's kind of a d@uch-bag.
Thanks guys, I'll probably end up giving a shot. Too much fun not to pass up.

Interesting. Thanks.
Kerf, whether or not one ultimately gets what one is seeking has little to do with whether or not it is done with hostility. The food might still be good, even if the waiter's kind of a d@uch-bag.
Thanks guys, I'll probably end up giving a shot. Too much fun not to pass up.

Dont worry about Kerf. He's kinda snappy like a mean little dog with something to prove.
I do however agree with most things he says relating to MB's.

Gee guys, I've always seen myself as a cuddly little teddy bear, as did my momma.

Attachments

• teddy_bear.jpg
    teddy_bear.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 120
So I was all set to go for a chain-drive kit with the GX-50, and I talked to a mechanic friend of mine who rained on my parade. The concerns he raised are:

1) putting a 50cc engine on a system designed for a relatively weak human powerplant would lead to unacceptable wear on bike components, especially frame, forks and (obviously) brakes.

2) Lots of hills where we live, and without a variable-speed transmission even a well-made engine is going to have a tough time doing steep grades without putting a ton of wear on drive-train components and the engine itself.

He bet me dinner that I'd have trouble finding people who had put a lot of miles on a system such as what I've described without constantly making repairs. So let's hear it...!
First off--these little engines put out much less torque than a human rider can by stomping on the pedals. The outright mechanical limits of the drivetrain are not the main problem.

What is the problem--is the very fact that if you're not pedaling, you're not likely to notice when something changes--such as when wheel bearings begin to wear out. On a non-motorized bike you would tend to notice this, because the pedaling effort would be going up. So it is more important to do inspections of a motorized bicycle more frequently than you would with a non-motor bike.

-----​

Second off-re: "variable transmission"... the NuVinci seems to be the only ready-to-go kit available, unless you turn outlaw and use one of the Lifan motorcycle/gearbox setups on a custom-built frame. ....And if you did that--you would need to be very gentle on the throttle on take-off, because those bigger engines in low gear possibly could put more torque on the drive wheel than it's really intended for.
~

These things are just cool,if it breaks get another, its cheap. I been riding my kulana moondog human powered for the last 2 nights since i got it and its a blast to ride. My only complaint are the handle bars come back alittle to far, so im going to change em sometime .I almost hate to tear it apart and start the conversion while its still riding weather. So i would listen to people who have a motorized bike not someone who speculates what it might do . Give him this web address and tell him Red Lobsters on him lol. Do your conversion and let him see it ,any self respecting gear head would love to have one.

Back