Milled head - WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Test Rode Oscar Today!

HEY...

I ignored my gout-stricken foot and bolted on the gas tank and connected the fuel line, then started Oscar up.

I immediately noticed a slight increase in accelleration between 20 and 30 MPH, but it fell off above 30, indicating no high-end improvement, which I wouldn't expect from a milled head.

The critical "Wadena Hill" test was a disappointment. Prior to the Milled Head and the Main Jet and Needle position changes, I could crest the hill at 28 mph. Now it has dropped to 26 mph.

I don't blame that on the milled head, but on the carb changes. I previously ran a #90 Main Jet, but changed it to a #82 on advice from the experts.
I also previously had the needle clip in the top groove, but moved it to the 2nd groove, also on well-intentioned advice.

I'm going back to my previous carb settings.

I have an idea that if all you riders who live at the lower altitudes would bring your "hot" machines up here to 3000 feet, where the atmospheric pressure is 13.16 psi, then you would all find your rides disappointing!

You say "Milled Head...WOW!" I say "Milled Head...a small improvement", because milling my head only brought it up to the compression level of a STOCK Whizzer at sea level!

Anyway, I'm finished with all those "performance perks" (thank God), now I want to install those RISER HANDLEBARS!

HAL

Last edited:
Hal
Before you put the big jet back in put the needle clip in the 2nd grove from the bottom. This will give you more fuel in the mid range without getting too rich at wide open throttle. I believe your just a tweak away from happiness.
Jim

HEY JIM!

Your last suggestion did the trick! I put the clip on the 4th groove on the needle, lifting it higher when the throttle is opened. I can once again hit 28 MPH at the crest of Wadena Hill!

It seems like it helped it at higher RPMs too...it seems to reach 30 MPH quicker than before, and I had the nerve to stay on board up to 37 MPH, the fastest I've ever ridden Oscar, and there was more left!

Because it doesn't have brakes to cope with a total weight of 330 pounds at that speed, I don't like to stay at those speeds for more than a couple of seconds...I'm contented and relaxed at 25 MPH, thank you!

Well...I've now made all the performance modifications I care to...I've brought my Whizzer's performance to that of a STOCK Whizzer at sea level, and probably a bit more.

If I ever took it down to sea level, I would probably be thrilled! (and scared!)

I would say that the single biggest change in performance was when I opened up the intake restrictor. All the later mods added to it to a lesser degree.

Oscar now has 200 miles on him, so I guess he's broken in?

After I change the oil, then on to those RISER BARS!

HAL

Glad to hear you got the power back that you wanted. I figured it was just a little tweak or two away for the result you were looking for. Your engine will not be broken in for another 300 miles. 500 total miles is the figure I have been told.

Oh and your Whizzer is better than a stock Whizzer at sea level now. You would be surprised at the power at sea level.

Jim

Last edited:
Woodstock Whizzer High Fin & Comp Head

The stock milled head on my Ambassador became too warped and loosing compression due to prolonged high heat use, 3,000 miles. Needing another head, I found a high-fin high-comp head on ebay which turned out to be from Woodstock Whizzer. There are 2 choices for the head, smaller one (size of stock head) or the full-size one. I chose the full size which is bigger (width and thickness) and heavier than the stock head (pics and videos below) It performs well and worth the cost. The idle maintained at 1 rpm at start then to 1.5 rpm after 15 min then stays at 1.5 even after riding for hours, keeping the temperature lower than stock. The stock head with short fins ran well but overheated quickly and the idle rpm kept rising during rides up to 2.5 rpm after 30 min of riding then the performance stared to drop. Even after shut off the motor cools down faster with the new high fin head plus I now have a backup stock head. I also added Indian head this weekend after seeing Chief Vintage at local Indian dealer.

Ambassador in the beginning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJxumuTF0eE

Ambassador Idle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hzreg7cHdo

Indian Head
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y790memSNLg

Attachments

• P091031002.jpg
    P091031002.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 304
  • P091031003.jpg
    P091031003.jpg