MIRRORS Discussion

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by Timcycle, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Timcycle

Timcycle Guest

What mirrors do you recommend and ways to attach?

I definately need and recommend one on the left side.

I would like to see how you all have conquered this either by purchase or by homemade.

2. spunout

spunout Member

unless you've got a magical, un-vibratory motor :lol: , most handlebar-mount arent going to work that well, IMHO. i've tried a few, and the vibration makes knowing what's-what behind you almost impossible.
    look here: http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=1968
    and scroll down to my post. you'll see what i'm using.
    Happy :mrgreen:
  3. Timcycle

Timcycle Guest

Mirror clip on glasses

I like that clip on glasses mirror.
    I always wear glasses so that might be an answer.

Anyone else have mirror solutions?
  4. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Bestest, most universalist mirror I've found is the 4 peice. I get them for about $10 when buying them from my local bike dealer.

Having a mirror on the bike gives it some legal legitimacy AND is a handy place to hang the helmet when shopping.

5. I have a handle bar mirror that is about 2 1/2" by 1 1/2" and has a rubber strap with holes in it that wraps around the bars and attaches to a post/hook on the other side.

The mounting does not move at all.

It still has adjustment as a normal mirror does and it does not move when you get it at the sweet spot.

When I first used it I thought it was a little small but with its curve shows more than expected and I am now getting used to it and am very happy with it.

I can't find the package it came in but will continue to look for it and post the details here asap or I will post some pictures by the weekend.
  6. Found it on the net.

7. Timcycle

Timcycle Guest

Bama mirror

Is the one you like the one called Mirrycle?
  8. azbill

azbill Active Member

Re: Bama mirror

yes it is, I have been using 1 and sometimes 2 of them for years :D :D
    (I try to use 2 when pulling my grandkids in a trailer so I can keep the right one on them)
    they work very well and are strong enought to carry cans of paint on the way home from the hardware store :shock: :lol:
  9. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Mirrycle is right, I dunno about the paint can transport. :???:

Eyesight so fading, I had to blow it up to see the spelling :shock:
  10. Timcycle

Timcycle Guest

97 Cent Mirror works

Well so far, so mirror good.

I bought a 97 cent stick-on mirror from the store.
    I taped a big nail to the back.
    I stuck the nail into the little little hole on my bike hand grip.

Today I took a near 50 mile trip and it worked very well.

photo here:
  11. "beer-view-mirror" made from spoke & bottle cap

http://www.instructables.com/id/Beer-view-mirror/ This is a neat little trick for making a mirror that clips to your glasses or cap. It's not mentioned here, but you can get the little round acrylic mirrors from your dentist just for asking. It worked for me.
  12. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

13. smapadatha

smapadatha Guest

When I went looking for a bicycle mirror I read a few motorcycle forum discussions since mirror vibration is even a bigger issue for them. Someone suggested that the way to cut vibration was to use a mirror with the shortest stem, since the stem acts as a lever arm to amplify vibration.

At REI I found a CatEye handlebar mirror with a stem that's about 1.5 cm long. It cost $7 and works quite well. The only downsides are:

1. Because the stem is so short, the mirror sits very close to your hand and I always seem to knock the mirror when I get off the bike. However, it's very quick to readjust.

2. It required a little surgery to get the mirror mount on the Townie Elektra as I guess the Townie does not use standard diameter handlebar tubing.

Attached Files:

14. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

That's a nifty little idea.