missing scre on carb

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by bob123, May 13, 2016.

1. bob123

bob123 New Member

is there supposed to be a screw in the hole beside the primer? If so what is the purpose of the screw?,.....thanx DSC00001.JPG

2. Rob H

Rob H Member

3. Rob H

Rob H Member

Yes a needle screw with a spring on it.It is used to raise or lower the slide in your carb to increase or decrease your curb idle

4. Rob H

Rob H Member

This is also causing a vacuum leak does it even idle

5. 45u

45u Active Member

Not just any screw will work it has somewhat of a rounded end on it. If you need a picture I can take one for you.

6. bob123

bob123 New Member

no, it does not idle. thank you so much. yOU HELPED ME SO MUCH . Where can I get this idle screw, any motorcycle shop, ?Ebay? Also I posted another thread about gas leaking out of the petcock. There are 2 brass washers on either side of the petcock. It looks like maybe I need new washers, or do you think the petcock is shot?
    Is there another fix that you might know? I might have posted it in a wrong category or something. I believe I uploaded a pic. Any help would be appreciated.....thanx.....bob

7. bob123

bob123 New Member

please, that'd be great?

8. 45u

45u Active Member

Here are some pictures.

Attached Files:

9. bob123

bob123 New Member

thanx so much. I.m going to get the part on ebay. Would it be too much trouble to send me an ebay link
    with that idle screw so I don't get the wrong one. I noticed the picture of the carb looks identical to mine,
    so I assume that idle screw would be the same. Or you could just let me know the carb model or idle screw part #, or anything else you could think of, so I don't f*%#*k it up :)......thanx very much 45u

10. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

get an m4 screw from virtually anywhere... at least i think its m4?

find a small spring that suits. or make one from a bit of piano/music wire (hobby shop) wound around a nail.

grab a file, grinder, whatever, give the end of screw a small tapered point. it doesnt really need to be rounded off or pointed, but it does help.

good luck finding anyone that sells the idle screw by itself ;) whole carb or DIY are the only options.

NT carb. common as.

oh. final thought. friendly mower shop will have something that will fit kicking around on an old wreck for free

11. 45u

45u Active Member

If the screw is not rounded properly it could damage the slide. As far as part numbers there does not seem to be a universal part number that I know of. Many times on eBay you can got the whole carburetor for around $10 to $20 then you have spare parts. For not much more you can get a SHA clone carburetor but would have to change the cable and get air filter which many on eBay sell them shipped for $18 to $26 with cable and filter. If you find a idle adjustment screw and post a link I will look at it and advice you. I look once on eBay and did not find one but did not spend hours looking.
    Best of luck
    Jeff