Engine Trouble More trouble..

aaronwilde

Local time
2:36 AM
So Basically when I baught this bike I had no idea what I was getting into. A month into owning it, I am fairly familiar with the mechanic side to it. I have replaced 3 magneto coils in a month. The first 2 stopped producing a spark beacuse they got wet. Everything seemed fine up until today I was riding down the side of a highway going back and forth between WOT and just under WOT for about 15 minutes. Going about 40~50kmph and all of a sudden an all to familiar put put something isnt write sound and within 30 seconds the engine isn't producing a spark anymore. So i peddle home the rest of the way and open up the magneto.. (wondering wtf is the problem because i hadnt been riding in rain or wet conditions). It seemed okay but something told me to take off the magneto coil and when I did i found a very small amount of oil on the coil. So I searched this site and google from head to toe and discovered that most likely my crank shaft seal behind the magnet rotor is probably broken or a bit loose. I took the nut off the magnet and thats as far as I have gotten today. I clamped some vice grips on the magnet and with all my strength to get that sucker off but it will NOT come loose. I was even thinking it may unscrew lol? Don't think so but also when the bike was working It would take a far amount of time to start. Id have to peddly my *** off and slowly it would go. I read that slow starting could be that same seal under the magnet being broken? I would really appreciate any info on this as I am mechanicly inclined and have the tools but I cant seem to get the magnet off. Also it has never been clear to me if a wet magneto = a dead magneto? I tried the bike again just for fun after wiping it off and it wont start now. I think my last 2 magneto's died from the same oil leak. And it seems to only leak oil when im really giving the engine full speed for long distances.

I can do that for you tomorrow after work. What would that help with though lol.. It would look like any other. Magneto coil part isnt backwards/upside down. It's in properly. And the rotor magnet is too. Ill get the pics tomorrow though : ) . Also I have never taken the magnet rotor off yet.. I could not get it off.. do you know how it comes off? Does it just take alot of force?

I don't know much at all about engines yet but wouldn't oil not be an issue if it came in contact with the magneto coil, because it doesn't conduct electricity?

water...open basket.... i dont even bother with the cover and weve had the heaviest rain the last 6 months weve had in 100 years or summink... yest some can and will fry.

using the white wire as a killswitch will fry them.

on that note, mine died the other day and ive cut the white off altogether... thinking maybe a 100ohm resistor in series with the killswitch just to reduce the currents... the tiny lil wire had burnt like a fuse :( or just not use the killswitch...iunno...

getting the magnet off. if it doesnt just slide off easily, they can be nearly impossible :eek:

the lil woodruff key in the slot has grabbed one of the laminations. why the rotor is laminated anyway i have no idea. but when it happened on the last engine i pulled... it caused the death of the rotor itself, the end of the crank shaft from belting it with a hammer, and the crankcase half i was getting it out of...

once it gets stuck i resort to brute effort :D

um...and regards oil on the coil...all i can think of is that the oils breaking down the insulation? besides the buggered seal ;)

and still no pics but i bought 2 engins and one has 4000 miles on it aside from losing alittle compression and carb problems still runs

2011-10-12 18.36.25.jpg

2011-10-12 18.34.25.jpg

2011-10-12 18.34.11.jpg

2011-10-12 18.36.34.jpg

There is the photos. Help would be awesome on getting that magnet rotor part out. I can get that nut and lock washer that you see off easy enough, but then the magnet itself wont come off even when I pull with vice grips.

Last edited:
Back