Engine Trouble More trouble..

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by aaronwilde, Oct 9, 2011.

1. aaronwilde

aaronwilde Member

So Basically when I baught this bike I had no idea what I was getting into. A month into owning it, I am fairly familiar with the mechanic side to it. I have replaced 3 magneto coils in a month. The first 2 stopped producing a spark beacuse they got wet. Everything seemed fine up until today I was riding down the side of a highway going back and forth between WOT and just under WOT for about 15 minutes. Going about 40~50kmph and all of a sudden an all to familiar put put something isnt write sound and within 30 seconds the engine isn't producing a spark anymore. So i peddle home the rest of the way and open up the magneto.. (wondering wtf is the problem because i hadnt been riding in rain or wet conditions). It seemed okay but something told me to take off the magneto coil and when I did i found a very small amount of oil on the coil. So I searched this site and google from head to toe and discovered that most likely my crank shaft seal behind the magnet rotor is probably broken or a bit loose. I took the nut off the magnet and thats as far as I have gotten today. I clamped some vice grips on the magnet and with all my strength to get that sucker off but it will NOT come loose. I was even thinking it may unscrew lol? Don't think so but also when the bike was working It would take a far amount of time to start. Id have to peddly my *** off and slowly it would go. I read that slow starting could be that same seal under the magnet being broken? I would really appreciate any info on this as I am mechanicly inclined and have the tools but I cant seem to get the magnet off. Also it has never been clear to me if a wet magneto = a dead magneto? I tried the bike again just for fun after wiping it off and it wont start now. I think my last 2 magneto's died from the same oil leak. And it seems to only leak oil when im really giving the engine full speed for long distances.

2. bideronit13

bideronit13 Member

Welcome.
    Can you take some pictures of the inside were the magneto goes with and without the magneto.

3. aaronwilde

aaronwilde Member

I can do that for you tomorrow after work. What would that help with though lol.. It would look like any other. Magneto coil part isnt backwards/upside down. It's in properly. And the rotor magnet is too. Ill get the pics tomorrow though : ) . Also I have never taken the magnet rotor off yet.. I could not get it off.. do you know how it comes off? Does it just take alot of force?

4. olow

olow Member

:idea:yes pics would be nice:rolleyes7::D

5. montytradition

montytradition New Member

I don't know much at all about engines yet but wouldn't oil not be an issue if it came in contact with the magneto coil, because it doesn't conduct electricity?

6. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

water...open basket.... i dont even bother with the cover and weve had the heaviest rain the last 6 months weve had in 100 years or summink... yest some can and will fry.

using the white wire as a killswitch will fry them.

on that note, mine died the other day and ive cut the white off altogether... thinking maybe a 100ohm resistor in series with the killswitch just to reduce the currents... the tiny lil wire had burnt like a fuse :( or just not use the killswitch...iunno...

getting the magnet off. if it doesnt just slide off easily, they can be nearly impossible :shout:

the lil woodruff key in the slot has grabbed one of the laminations. why the rotor is laminated anyway i have no idea. but when it happened on the last engine i pulled... it caused the death of the rotor itself, the end of the crank shaft from belting it with a hammer, and the crankcase half i was getting it out of...

once it gets stuck i resort to brute effort :D

um...and regards oil on the coil...all i can think of is that the oils breaking down the insulation? besides the buggered seal ;)

7. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

8. olow

olow Member

and still no pics but i bought 2 engins and one has 4000 miles on it aside from losing alittle compression and carb problems still runs

9. bideronit13

bideronit13 Member

The reason I was asking for pictures is I thought you had a magic magneto.

10. aaronwilde

aaronwilde Member

2011-10-12 18.36.25.jpg

2011-10-12 18.34.25.jpg

2011-10-12 18.34.11.jpg

2011-10-12 18.36.34.jpg

There is the photos. Help would be awesome on getting that magnet rotor part out. I can get that nut and lock washer that you see off easy enough, but then the magnet itself wont come off even when I pull with vice grips.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  11. bideronit13

bideronit13 Member

You can see in the picture that the shaft has a denture in it to use a puller.
    I was wondering how you got oil in the coil.

12. aaronwilde

aaronwilde Member

These parts you mean?

And what do you mean by wondering how I got oil in the coil? Are you implying "no wonder I got oil in the coil"? Or are you asking me how I did? I think behind the magnet there is a black seal to the crank shaft and it probably has a leak thus letting oil into the magneto area.

Attached Files:

13. bideronit13

bideronit13 Member

It seemed okay but something told me to take off the magneto coil and when I did i found a very small amount of oil on the coil

That line above is your origonal post. Thats why pictures are needed I guess

14. aaronwilde

aaronwilde Member

this is where im at now.. cant even use all my strength to pull the magnet off.. im stripping it a bit.

Attached Files:

15. bideronit13

bideronit13 Member

Were you take the nut off of the shaft that shaft has an indenture to place a pully.
    You can get them at the autopart store. You just screw it out with the pully
    The puly has claws that grab the magnet and then screws out

16. bideronit13

bideronit13 Member

Theres different sizes so you might take a trip or two. Let us know if you need help after.

17. bideronit13

bideronit13 Member

Here it looks like this. I used to be a fuller trans mech and we just called um pullys but there also known as bearing pullers. my bad

Attached Files:

18. aaronwilde

aaronwilde Member

got it off with 90 degree needle nose i just pryed and turned and pryed and turned till it came off.. just as i suspected.. look at this. Thats a hole right there isnt it? would this little hole in the black seal let the tiny bit of oil out and thus is why my magneto coil has stopped producing a spark and had to be replaced 2 times now? would that bit of oil kill the coil? cuz there was oil in there around the coil each time it stopped working

Attached Files:

19. bideronit13

bideronit13 Member

I dont do work by just pulling stuff apart you can do more damage then good. Bye the way when you put the new one ore just whatever your gona do your going to have to put it back.
    I use a brass punch which is a long round piece of brass so you dont breakk anything.
    Another reason fo rthe brass punch is so you can hear a thunk when its flush againt its home. We called it driving it home. So if theres a seal you can screw up a new seal if not done rite.

20. aaronwilde

aaronwilde Member

okay so i think i see a spot that is missing from the seal.. it seems tight around the edges still but if you notice theres a low track like groove around the circle and the close side and the far side of the circle from the shaft in the center are higher. one part a bout 2 CM long of the high track on the seals outer edge is missing so instead of || ||

its just || |

if that maks sense? would that made a diference?