Most People Seem to Run Chinese Style Engines.....

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by GoldenEagleChris, Oct 15, 2010.

1. I have been looking through the galleries all the way back to the beginning and it seems to be the consensus that most of you go the way of the center mount "chinese" style engines.

Golden Eagles, Staton, and friction drives seem to be outnumbered 10:1 plus.

Is this because of pure cost?

What was your reasons for going chinesey?

2. reb1

reb1 Member

For myself I want to pedal while I run the motor so I will use something other than a center mount. I have noticed that the Chines kits are considerably cheaper.
  3. hurricane

hurricane Member

rear mount engines are not as attractive or natural looking as center mounts.

But honestly I would like a gebe set up if I were to do any long distance riding,but they are so darn pricey.
  4. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

I happened to get my 2 stroke China Girl before I knew about 4 stroke bike motors, but I would probably still go with one because of cost and looks. Rear mount has no appeal to me. Maybe one day I would go with an in-frame 4 stroke, dunno.
  5. Thought the 2 stroke with an expansion chamber was pretty cool. Also it seemed cheap, and get me to work.
  6. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

On the other hand, did you also notice that Golden Eagles, Staton, and friction drives seem to be more reliable and dependable by about 10:1 plus as well ? Especially if used with a Japanese engine !
  7. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

for me, it's all about the looks. I don't like the looks of a friction drive, or rack mounted drive.
    the cost of the china 2 strokes is also one of the reasons that i like them. wheather they are as dependable or not, you can replace an entire chinese engine I don't care if they don't last as long as higher quality, more expensive engines.
    if you maintain a chinese 2 stroke, feed it the right amount of gas/oil, they will last a lot longer than people think they will.
  8. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

I fell in love with the classic look. I guess in a way I was building myself a miniature motorcycle that I could ride without breaking the bank and having a $10,000 bike sit in the garage during the week. I am going to go more reliable when i have the cash. Have not decided on rack or frame mount yet, but cargo area will be a consideration as to what I build.
  9. Vistaman73

Vistaman73 Member

If I read that right you think the center (frame mount) mount engines restrict your peddling. This is not true. On all types of mounting/drive/engine combos there are, you can peddle along with the engine. But, on chain driven setups, when not using the engine, you get the added resistance of a second chain clutch and misc. friction. I just wanted to make sure we where on the same page here. Good luck with the MB no matter how you decide to make it.

Best Wishes,
  10. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

The frame mounted engines look more like a motorcycle. I was commuting to work and wanted cargo space one my rear rack.
    Rack mounted engines can tip over easier when parked on a side kickstand.
  11. Richard H.

Richard H. Member

Most People Seem to Run Chinese Style Engines.....

It's what you first hear about, 5 yrs ago I saw a guy with one and got interested. They're inexpensive at first but then the false economy issue reared it's head and I moved on to more reliable engines.

Now I want reliability, lightweight and freewheeling to be the least inhibited.

As far as looks go, I do not want my bike to look like a motorcycle. I prefer a MB to retain the "look" of a bicycle as much as possible and for my use feel it's much to my advantage that it does so.
  12. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Yeah, the false economy thing. I keep having to add gasoline/oil mixture to my HT's fuel tank.

Sorry, but a HT engine is very reliable. I'd ride either of my HT bikes across country and I guarantee they'd both make the trip without breakdown.
  13. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I agree 100% , although some people have had good luck with them.
  14. masterx1234

masterx1234 Member

i own one of the friction kits from bmp and its the most reliable kit i ever bought, i went through two in-frame chinese kits before and learned not to buy another one of them, so definantly buy a friction drive
  15. loquin

loquin Active Member

Distinct matter of opinion...:jester: There are a lot of folks who like the antique motorcycle look.

On the other hand, I happen to like the look of a rack mount more; it emphasizes that I'm riding a bicycle.

Not on all chain drives; Both the Staton chain drive system and their axle mount uses a freewheel on the rear sprocket; They have undetectable drag when coasting/peddling alone.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  16. I have owned 7 HT 66cc engine kits and am on my 7th engine now....They have all failed me....The next engine kit I get will be a Subaru friction drive from Staton or some other rear rack mount....I want reliability and have given up on the cool look of the center mount kits....
  17. buzbikebklyn1

buzbikebklyn1 New Member

I'm with the Baron on this one...
    4 strokes still look like weed whackers, no matter if there frame mounted or rack mounted.
    I have owned several rear rack 2 and 4 stroke systems over the years , both have there strong and weak points.
    But for pure cool? its gotta be a frame mount China doll or the mighty Morini.
  18. buzbikebklyn1

buzbikebklyn1 New Member

China girl (H/T) engines need proper break in and a shift kit to live a decent amount of time. The standard left side drive sprocket lets them over rev to easily.
    Now If you MUST go left hand drive... its the Morini. Its got the strength to take the constant high RPM.
    I'm currently working on a shift kit for the S6-T Morini running a Sick Bike Parts crank freewheel and arms, Kings chain rings and a 5 cog on a 10 speed rear Shimano XT Disc hub all 415 chain. drive. The 5 rear gears will be double spaced on the 10 spd. cassette hub, the derailleur has had its chain cage widened to accept the wider 415 chain. I'm still working the bugs out of it. but when i get this right? LOOK OUT!
  19. Richard H.

Richard H. Member

Yeah, so do I, a motor assisted bicycle which stays under the radar of a lot of scrutiny. I don't know, maybe it's an age thing but I guess I owned too many real motorcycles to make believe a bicycle is one.
  20. wbuttry

wbuttry Member

I think in all honesty a rack mounted engine would be the one getting looked at more cause the cops see a motor that looks like a weed eater motor .And they think thats not legal and pull you over and ask about it. Least in the frame motors you can kinda hide it.