Most People Seem to Run Chinese Style Engines.....

I have owned 7 HT 66cc engine kits and am on my 7th engine now....They have all failed me....The next engine kit I get will be a Subaru friction drive from Staton or some other rear rack mount....I want reliability and have given up on the cool look of the center mount kits....
John

Lot of the problem stems from 5 basic problems .
1. Manafacture happy time motors are not harley motors they arent built that good these motors are not built to certain tollerences they are built to run thats it .
2.Break in has gotta be done exactly rite i use more oil than required during break in and after break in i use 8ozs for normal running and during break in i never go wot at all and run it for 15 minutes at a time
3. Modify if you modify like adding a super flow muffler headers and nitrous these motors dont last long with those mods it over runs them and works them to death
4.Unintended use most of us dont use these motors for thier intended use. The idea of these motors are for helping us ride our bike easier and better. They are not meant to be the only thing we use to move the bike with. And taking off from a stand still half the motors arent designed to do that. Most of them require some help to get them going first .
5.Vibration if we dont put rubber under everything on the bike it will evantually tear up motors . Snug every thing down tite thread locker and steel bolts do wonders. Instead of pot metal bots and nuts that these come with .

Lot of the problem stems from 5 basic problems .
1. Manafacture happy time motors are not harley motors they arent built that good these motors are not built to certain tollerences they are built to run thats it .
2.Break in has gotta be done exactly rite i use more oil than required during break in and after break in i use 8ozs for normal running and during break in i never go wot at all and run it for 15 minutes at a time
3. Modify if you modify like adding a super flow muffler headers and nitrous these motors dont last long with those mods it over runs them and works them to death
4.Unintended use most of us dont use these motors for thier intended use. The idea of these motors are for helping us ride our bike easier and better. They are not meant to be the only thing we use to move the bike with. And taking off from a stand still half the motors arent designed to do that. Most of them require some help to get them going first .
5.Vibration if we dont put rubber under everything on the bike it will evantually tear up motors . Snug every thing down tite thread locker and steel bolts do wonders. Instead of pot metal bots and nuts that these come with .
I agree with you 100% on everything you said....On this new motor I put on this week(had a extra one laying around)I am running it extra rich and not going over half throttle....Hopefully it will last alot longer than the other engines I have had....It has 61 miles on it so far....
John

I think in all honesty a rack mounted engine would be the one getting looked at more cause the cops see a motor that looks like a weed eater motor .And they think thats not legal and pull you over and ask about it. Least in the frame motors you can kinda hide it.

yeah, I think what is noticeable and what is not is going to depend on your local laws. MBs are totally legal where I am as long as you keep it under 30 mph. I think here making a MB look as much like a moped or very simple motorcycle would cause less stir than a rear rack mounted motor. I don't KNOW that, though, as I've never seen a rear rack mounted MB in these parts.

Ride responsibly, thumb on the kill button...ready to peddle my brains out... big mufflers... try to keep to lesser used routes.
Works for me.
BBB

I think in all honesty a rack mounted engine would be the one getting looked at more cause the cops see a motor that looks like a weed eater motor .And they think thats not legal and pull you over and ask about it. Least in the frame motors you can kinda hide it.

We agree to disagree then. It's the archetype, overall look, isn't that why guys like the look? Anyway, IMO when cops spot a rackmount they just see a bicycle which is pretty much off their radar. When they spot a frame mount they see a motorcycle IE motor vehicle, helmet, insurance, tags etc that might need a closer look.

police and me

I road up to the local voter/DMV and there were a group of six or more local police there with their bikes. I had my helmet and my yellow jacket on(I almost looked like them) they just waved and gave me the thumbs up.

If you treat them with respect I think you will get respect. When I go to the collage campus to class I cut the engine off and pedal in so I can park in the bike racks. If I do that I save a hundred and fifty a term. I call that "stealth" mode. After a few blocks I just pop the clutch and motor back home.

Its less expensive for me to ride my motor bicycle than it would be to pay for parking at the collage, Even when I have gone though three motors. I hope this one lasts a little longer but who knows?

mike

Hi Mike...
Do you run a shift kit? Shift kits do allow these engines to run lower in the power band, hence they tend to live longer.
I've heard of guys going through engines fast and even a few of my customers do...but 3 of them in such a short time leads me to believe its a rider issue.
High mileage?
Long periods at high RPM?
Theres gotta be a reason for such poor engine life.
The first China Doll bike i ever saw was revving its brains out at the time, that's what caught my attention... it was screaming and the guy was doing like 35 seemingly without a care for the motor...
I know that sound...its a bearing about to give!
How do you ride?
Do you baby it or hammer on it?
CHINESE BEER CANS MAKE LOUSY ENGINES...
Its not a Morini, which are built to spend long periods in the high RPM stratosphere...
How does it sound to you when your getting on it... strained? struggling?
listen to the engine... it can tell you its in trouble.
BBB

Last edited:
I came, I saw, I broke it.

My first engine died fairly quickly after I rebuilt it because of a part that broke off the piston and got jammed between the block and the piston.(I think it was the wrist pin retaining clip)

My second engine died after I moved the engine forward by changing the length of the motor mount studs. I think this put to much leverage on the block, so it broke. I tried to do this to tighten the chain after braking a chain tensioner.

What I did next time was to weld track bike type dropouts on the frame. I also welded a derailer hanger on the pedal side, so I could still run a eight speed freehub on the back. That and I am now using a Sick Bike Parts oversized frame adapter. So far no trouble yet. I have run about two galleons of gas with it so far. (No speedometer or odometer, but I have a tach).

mike

Last edited:
I have had bad luck with 7 HT engines,all of them not making it much past 600 miles or so....I just put a new engine on it and am not riding over 22 mph at less than half throttle....I think this will cure my problem becouse the over reving is to much for these engines to handle....
John

Back