motor bogs down when using filter

Kamalazooz3

Local time
6:02 PM
So I usually run my carb without an air filter for better performance but today i wanted to go on a trail which is very sandy and I didn't want any sand going into the motor so i put the filter back on and tried to rid it like normal but the motor just bogs down at around 10mph and after a few second it'll stop running so i took of the air filter to test it again and it ran like normal so i think the air filter is severely restricting airflow to the motor, so what should I do to stop the bike from bogging down or how do I not let sand get in to the motor without using the stock air filter? OR should i just not use a filter at all.

if your running the stock NT carb and you can take the plastic cover off and drill 3 holes between the screws in a triangle position to allow more air to enter through the filter at the cost of sand also.

that or get a cone filter and get rid of that plastic all together

1659812792608.png

if your running the stock NT carb and you can take the plastic cover off and drill 3 holes between the screws in a triangle position to allow more air to enter through the filter at the cost of sand also.

that or get a cone filter and get rid of that plastic all together

View attachment 178560
i actually just put on the filter without the plastic cover, only used the little plastic thingy to screw the filter it on.

only used the little plastic thingy to screw the filter it on
If you are using just the filter retainer without the cover, there should be little or no restriction to air flow. Before changing the jetting, have you tried adjusting the throttle slide needle? There is a sticky post on the 2-cycle forum regarding NT carbs and the needle adjustment. What is your fuel mix ratio?

so what should I do
Do what I did for cheap money and no fuss or bother, replace the stock filter with a filter that has 360* airflow and not restricted by that stock cover type filter...This is a direct fit filter for the stock carby.

Do what I did for cheap money and no fuss or bother, replace the stock filter with a filter that has 360* airflow and not restricted by that stock cover type filter...This is a direct fit filter for the stock carby.

And filters better than that little scrap of foam that they call a "filter" as well

Back