Motor Sliding Down Seat Tube And Down Tube

Just for my two cents, I have also had problems with using rubber to mount the motor. One would imagine it would dampen the vibrations, but when you think about it logically, the vibrations are all going to end up in the frame, one way or another, and also once again logically, the vibrations are only going to pass through roughly the same area into the frame, with or without rubber. There is possibly like a 1% reduction in frame wear.

Also as stated, i've experienced problems with bolts stripping due to them being.... excessively cheap and nasty, and also have noticed a tendancy for non-locktite'd bolts to undo themselves over time causing issues if you don't check them regularly (which you should anyway).

There are many, many alternate mounting solutions if the packaged brackets do not fit your frame, however unless your frame is very new and made of composite materials, it seems to me that it may be too thin to really provide the engine with the support it requires.

With solid mounts the vibration is transferred to the entire bicycle frame and it absorbs it as a whole unit. Also the engine is solidly mounted and the relationship between the mounts and frame does not move.

When rubber is placed between the mounts and frame the vibration is mostly contained to the engine alone. The whole bicycle cannot absorb it. The engine mounting is flexible and the mounts can move on the frame. This movement stresses the mounting studs and the stress can lead to broken studs or worse, a broken engine case around the stud holes.
There are plenty of threads and posts on this site to support this information.
What I am trying to do here is pass on the hard lessons learned from others on this site to you.

trust me, I would never question the validity of your advice, I just wanted to know the science behind WHY pads would stress the mount screws. And I knew you would deliver :)

I used a lead pipe as my engine shim for the front mount to see how it would perform. All i can say is wow. I will be soon removing the engine to all the shims to all the mount points. Lead is awesome, almost removed all the vibration, from the engine.

Watch it carefully. Lead deforms easily and you may soon have loose fitting mounts.
I am not saying in a week or two, but a few months down the road.
Just be careful using it as a spacer material.

Back