Motorizing a Giant (brand) Bicycle

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by HseLoMein, Feb 6, 2009.

1. HseLoMein

HseLoMein Member

Hello All,

I was at my local bike shop buying new pedals for my shifter kit. I was broswing through their collection and i came across a commuter bike that is made by Giant Bicycles. It is an aluminum alloy frame, which they call their alloy "Aluxx". It also comes with disk brakes , fenders, spring seat and a rack with straps. Do you think that the bike will be safe with that engine and a shifter kit on it.

Here is the specs of the bike.
    Hello All,

I was at my local bike shop buying new pedals for my shifter kit. I was broswing through their collection and i came across a commuter bike that is made by Giant Bicycles. It is an aluminum alloy frame, which they call their alloy "Aluxx". It also comes with disk brakes , fenders, spring seat and a rack with straps. Do you think that the bike will be safe with that engine and a shifter kit on it.

Here is the specs of the bike.
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/lifestyle/2306/32161/

Will the engine vibrate the bike apart:eek:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009

2. DetonatorTuning

DetonatorTuning Active Member

i doubt you would have problems with that bike BUT $650. average retail !?! ZOWEEEEEE

steve

3. HseLoMein

HseLoMein Member

the one i am really looking is lasts year's model. its about 400 on clearance right now.

4. DetonatorTuning

did you look in craigslist or other local peer to peer lists ?

i bought a $450 Trek for $200. that way.

steve

5. DetonatorTuning

by the way, i just looked at that link again and i'm not sure you'll have enough room in that frame for the jackshaft.

i hope someone with that experience will give some insight on that.

steve

6. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

Good point, I just measured mine and you need a minimum of 2 1/4 inches of room behind the seat post.
    I'd go for it if it will fit and if you can get it for that sale price, they are a great bike.

7. DetonatorTuning

yes but that's 2.25" how far above the the bottom bracket ? it looks to me like the wheel is CLOSE to the seat post in the critical area.

steve

8. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

It looks a little too close to me.

9. HseLoMein

HseLoMein Member

Looks like ill have to go back to the bike shop with some tape measure.