My brother's bike is having trouble starting...

Bike916

Local time
12:31 PM
So when we pedal the bike and pop the clutch, the engine stays barely on while the clutch is engaged, but once I press the clutch the engine shuts off. I changed the spark plug and its the same issue. What can it be? Can it be a carb issue?

This could be any number of things. Be sure you are getting air, fuel and spark, as these are essential for making fire. Also the clutch should be adjusted properly. Good luck to you, and keep us posted with your progress.

I do give it some gas. In the beginning, I could pedal hard, pop the clutch and continue to pedal hard and it would turn on and stay on at higher speeds, but then at low speeds it would just die. Now I can't even make it do that.

Rust, dirt, or dust junk in the carburetor float needle and seat.
Too high a float setting, causing an overly rich mixture that the jet needle cannot correct?
Loose or fallen off fuel jet in the carburetor?
It sounds to me like you are getting too much fuel at slow engine speeds, but when the engine is running fast, it can overcome this malady.

Today I'll go into the carb and see what I find...I'm a complete noob, but have looked up some posts for guidelines. I put in another spark plug and had the same issue.

umm pedal REALLLY fast when i get my engines new they always take alot to get started also prime and choke the engine...then if all else fails check for a fouled plug

Back