My Dual Suspension Road Racer

I think that MY holy grail in motorized bikes has been a dual suspension bike. I wanted a mid frame engine bike for a start. The frame HAD to be dual suspension. I found only one bike that fit the bill. The only one so far that I know of and here it is:
Kent Glendale Dual Suspension Comfort Series 26" 7 speed
Its got:
"H*ll Bent" 6deg. swept back bars,

70cc engine kit from "thatsdax!",

Expansion Chamber exhaust system, combined F/R brake lever, front no drill engine mount from "Spookytooth Cycles",

Speedometer,

compass/bell,

and it features a "direct chain drive" hub mounted driven sprocket, bolted to a black 26 inch "Teny" Aluminum/Magnisium alloy 7speed freewheel wheel rear that gives you a PERFECTLY straight sprocket alignment. No spokes to maintain, or replace EVER!
Well, what yall think?

Attachments

• dsc_035.jpg
    dsc_035.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,059
  • dsc_038.jpg
    dsc_038.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,090
  • dsc_043.jpg
    dsc_043.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 744
  • dsc_046.jpg
    dsc_046.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 667
  • dsc_054.jpg
    dsc_054.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 670
Last edited:
I assume you'll test it out to make sure it runs before you sell it?
When you do, let me know what you get for a top speed.
I have a carb I'm waiting to put on my kit and I can't wait for the extra speed.
My bike goes pretty fast as it is (34 mph) so I'm curious how much gain I'll get out of the carb, racing style air filter (like yours) and a power pipe. I'm guessing I'll be close to if not at 40 mph when she's wide open. Ohh yeah!

I assume you'll test it out to make sure it runs before you sell it?

Oh Yeah! Ill have to at least crank it up before I try to sell it. I wouldn't want to sell anything substandard.

I dont think I'll EVER get all the money back that I put into it, thats why I said I'm 'toying' with the idea of selling it.

My other motorized 'daily beater' is my test platform for modifications. I experiment on it, then if it works I incorporate the design improvments into the new bike.

So unless the brand new engine is defective, everything operates as it should.

My beater can attain over 35mph on level ground and its totally stock, but over 30mph the engine vibrates too much for my tastes.

Update!

Well, I still have not cranked up my 'Rural Assault Vehicle' project yet. I'm waiting for the 3.5 in chrome headlight to come in.

I've mounted the 12v 2.2amp battery, and the 12v "Mini-Gen-Max" generator. I've also rigged a 2amp rectifier to the "Mini-Gen-Max" to provide a DC current source to charge the battery. There is no charge regulator.

I found a left handlebar switch cluster on ebay for about $15 American dollars. It includes switches for the turn signals, headlight on/off, hi/lo beam headlight, parking lights, horn, and most importantly to me is the intergrated choke lever!

I took an automotive choke activation wire removed it from its casing, and cut off the dash knob. Then threaded it through a black bicycle cable casing for looks.

Next I modified the choke lever to accept the solid choke activation wire simply by measuring the reach, and throw of the lever, and melting a small hole for the wire. A dab of "J-B Weld" secures the casing nice and tight in the socket and prevents it from sliding with the activation wire. This arrangement is semi permanent and still allows for repair and replacement of the choke activation components.

In the rear with the carb, I drilled two small holes through the choke lever tabs
for the activation wire.

The next step for the choke cable installation is CRUCIAL and must be measured correctly, and the choke wire casing has to be secured tightly close by the choke lever to prevent it from sliding with the choke activator wire.

Then use a swaged ball (hardware store, cable/chain section) on top of the lever. this allows the activator wire to push on the choke lever to open it.

Last step was to thread the activator wire through the holes, measure the action of the choke activator wire and cut any excess. With needle nose pliers bend the activator wire around the lever tab. This allows the wire to pull the choke lever up, thus closing the choke!

It took me about six hours to engineer,measure, cut and mount the choke operation device for this bicycle.

NOW. About that 'long intake'. I've setup the same carb system on my daily rider/test vehicle with the long rubber intake.

THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS WITH THE ATOMIZATION OF THE FUEL. THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS WITH ENGINE TORQUE, AND IT PULLS AS HARD AS EVER AT LOWER RPM.

However there is a difference in the way the engine runs. The rubber intake flexes in and out as the engine sucks in its fuel/air mixture. You cant feel this pulsating of the rubber hose for the engines vibration. This flexing of the rubber intake PREVENTS the engine from sucking fuel as hard as it could with a rigid intake.

This (I'll call it a delay) in the fuel intake cycle makes the throttle response SLOW. This is the CON. Read on for the PRO's.

On the Pro side, this flexing delay limits the engines RPM from over rev but ALLOWS FULL SPEED TO BE DEVELOPED BY THE ENGINE. THE LONGER INTAKE PROVIDES A LARGER VOLUME OF SPACE FOR THE FUEL/AIR MIXTURE AND ACTS AS A BOOST BOOTLE FOR THE ENGINE!!!

I can still get to my normal 25 to 35 mph speed range, but it developes slower and like I mentioned before, the throttle response is slower. It took a little getting used to, and I had to set the carb idle screw to full rpm. I changed the throttle cable and I changed the carb needle position so that affects things also. I'll play with the needle position a little more.

I plan to replace the flexable rubber intake extension with a solid 3/4 in copper intake setup. That should cure the slow throttle response, while keeping the 'boost bottle' effect without having to but an actual boost bootle! I'll add photos soon.

But personally, the difference in the engines operation dosen't bother me.

photos of my latest additions

Here are the photos of the choke settup, and 12 v battery mounting position.

I plan to buy an identical battery to mount to the other side of the frame, and wire it in parallel to the existing battery to increase the power capacity for the soon to be added horn, and turn signal lights!

I used an empty .177 cal. pellet box to contain the rectifier and its wiring for looks. I used an old section of inner tube to cover the battery in rubber to help prevent it from shifting.

Included in the photos is my black test/research bike (before I extended the carb to the rear so I could have enough room to use a better air filter) which I ride almost daily, and is my first build. It has an extended stem so I can cruise upright. Its the most comfortable riding position for long trips. I added the rear rack, and extra 1 gallon tank for long range cruising. They're connected together with a fuel 'T' fitting and each tank has its own fuel filter and fuel shut off pitcock.

Also, a photo of my green non motorized bike with red Teny one piece wheels which I've owned for five years with no problems. I did have the front red wheel on my motorized test vehicle for a couple of years and put over 600 miles on it with no adverse effects to the wheel or bearings.

Attachments

• dsc_004.jpg
    dsc_004.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 290
  • dsc_007.jpg
    dsc_007.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 284
  • dsc_009.jpg
    dsc_009.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 274
  • dsc_010.jpg
    dsc_010.jpg