My first CUSTOM build

Ok, so I see everyone building their bike I figured I'd start my own build thread in hopes that I can get some good feedback and if anything ideas on where to go with everything. Here is a pic of the jig I setup and the bike sitting in roughly the place it will stand once done. This is a one off build and will be built with chromoly tubing, a pit bike engine, and a jackshaft assembly similar to what I have seen on the motopeds.com build and sickbikeparts jackshaft setup. What I have on order that should be here in a few days: exhaust, handle bars, sprockets for wheel and jack shaft, and disk brakes. What I have now: head tube, wheels and tires, engine, seat, track ends, throttle, carb, (air filter on order). What was custom made: the rear hub which is a dual disk rear from Phil Woods..This will give me disk brakes and bolt holes for the sprocket on either side of the hub. Tires are Hookworms and Halo SAS rims with a Halo Spin doctor from hub...using a Manitou Circus front fork(really stout little fork for the price)..Using a Cane Creek headset and the head tube is a 44mm 4130 tube from paragon machine works. Whats needed: tubing(measurments for tubing), 3/4" shaft for sprockets to ride on, a custom made bottom bracket or I might decide to go with SBP wide bottom bracket setup but not sure if will be wide enough for what I need(if anyone has exact measurements of how wide it is after pedals installed that would be awesome)

Now let me know your feedback..PLEASE!! 20131229_193439.jpg

The bike is at the shop now. I am dealing with a custom fab shop and we are working out all the details a bit more. Hopefully by next week he will have the front triangle together and I will have pics up. He is pretty busy and so am I now that my wife is pregnant so I've had to push a few things back. My ultimate goal is to have the build finished sometime in May. Probably not all painted but built and drivable by then.

we expect :)

good work :cool:

update

Man, what a last couple of weeks. Wife pregnant, going back to school and dealing with final exams(that sounds weird saying out load), and dealing with a custom build. We are going to try and make crazy head wind the next couple weeks. Now that the summer has started and I have 3 solid weeks of freedom (i hope)...we are going to hopefully get this build to at least a rolling chassis here shortly. Crazy how when you want things to just work they never do...anyways..here is a pic of the front triangle bent and hopefully tomorrow have pics of it tacked up. We just finished bending the tubing and re_measuring for good measure.

Attachments

• IMG_20140506_113125.jpg
    IMG_20140506_113125.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_20140506_193253.jpg
    IMG_20140506_193253.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 541
Front triangle pics coming soon****

Tomorrow morning I'm heading over to the shop to see the front triangle tacked up and bringing the bearings for the forks to mount to the front triangle. Will post pics after I get there and see where we are at. Once this front triangle is completely done the rear should be the easy part besides the tricky way I need to figure out how to mount chain-tensioners to the frame so that it looks clean. Also, needing to deal with the exact position for the jack shaft and the best way to mount it so it doesn't look like a after thought...getting a little ahead of myself but will post pics soon...

tacked front triangle

Ok, front triangle tacked up..hopefully next week we will have rear stays tacked and in place.

Attachments

• IMAG0631.jpg
    IMAG0631.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 524
Custom Jackshaft Mount and Pedals

Ok, want to get some feedback from anyone following this thread. In the process of making a jack shaft mount that mimics the m.otopeds bike....What you guys think...Did a mock test in some MDF for fitting and to see if I think it works. I've been going back and forth on whether to do a solid tube mount but because I wanted to find a way to cover the sprockets for safety and I needed mounts for the chain tensioners I figured using the same type of setup as a build I had already seen I figured why try to re-create the wheel. Should be machining these mounts in aluminum in the coming week.

Attachments

• IMAG0665.jpg
    IMAG0665.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 524
  • jackshaft fit1.jpg
    jackshaft fit1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 548
Also thinking about doing a seat pan versus doing a normal bicycle seat but that one is a near the end decision....

More updates...

Ok, so I had some free time and finally got the jackshaft plates done and machined out the spindle for the pedals for the bike. I will say it is possible that I have to re-do the spindle if its to short or too long but if I do it is actually fairly easy after messing around on a piece of acrylic rod first. Here are some pics..hope you guys like and I am trying my best to get the engine plates in to test the spindle lengths and to test fit the jackshaft plates for placement. Any new updates that come along I will do my best to shoot pics asap.

Wanted to also do a poll from you guys on what you think will look best for a color once I get this bike on the ground..

Stock Tubing color (Gray/Silver)
Black with Red accents (I kind of like this one best only because the sprocket is red..the throttle is red and there are also small pieces on the bike that are red)
All Red
Some other colors I have not mentioned

Thanks again for reading and anyone have any questions on anything or just want to chat I am all ears.

Attachments

• IMAG0775.jpg
    IMAG0775.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 468
  • IMAG0776.jpg
    IMAG0776.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 461
  • IMAG0778.jpg
    IMAG0778.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 453
  • IMAG0780.jpg
    IMAG0780.jpg