My garage is screwed

weefek

Local time
8:24 AM
Flooding here. This has never happened before. My man cave (aka garage) is screwed. It's flooded twice up to 8" deep twice today. All my stuff at ground level is most likely done, everything else above ground level is now dealing with extreme amounts of humidity. Crap floating around everywhere, dirty ditch water, branches and leaves and field stuff all over the place, (the ditch drains thousands of acres of farmland). Lots of expensive electronic goodies flooded....I don't know what to do friends. Pics are about half of the water level, I was too busy doing crap at high water level to take pictures....

20230824_234457.jpg
20230824_234447.jpg
20230824_233651.jpg
20230824_121231.jpg

Most of the good stuff should be fine, but i lost a few grinders / handtools / boxes of old albums and retro game materials / boxes of expensive as hell industrial electronics parts...

Problem is we have so much rain and water at the moment it looks like i may be flooded for a few more days, im worried about mold and humidity damage to everything else (including the house) at this point.

After im done at this customers site im going to pick up 2 spare sump pumps as my current one (for the house basement) has been running non stop for over 28 hours at this point.

Pic is the ditch this morning as I was leaving, still raining!!!!
20230825_080736.jpg

I feel for you…I know… been there a few times.
My house is on peirs..finished floor is 3’ above “the closest adjacent grade.” Another way of saying the ground it sits on.
Last time…2005… I had 6’ inside…found small fish in the house.
Had to gut the house to the studs and treat with Boracare for mold remediation.
You’ll be surprised at the stuff you can salvage. Spray all your electric motors with like WD-40 and dry em out good. Oil the bushings. Sooner the better.
It looks terrible but it’s not as bad as it looks. Clean and dry everything you can. A pressure washer is good to have.
Flooding creates lots of extra work.

Hopefully there’s no power outage.

Hang in there… a year from now it’ll be a distant memory.

Thanks man ive taken all the steps I possibly can to save what i pulled out, short of going over the pcbs with a magnifying glass (that will happen at some point). The water has receeded for the moment, ive got fans and dehumidifiers going, but were scheduled for possibly more rain this weekend so im not starting The Big Clean just yet

Thanks man ive taken all the steps I possibly can to save what i pulled out, short of going over the pcbs with a magnifying glass (that will happen at some point). The water has receeded for the moment, ive got fans and dehumidifiers going, but were scheduled for possibly more rain this weekend so im not starting The Big Clean just yet
Maybe you could stack some sandbags around your garage to keep the water from seaping in. However sandbags are pretty spendy

Back