My lohmann engine; a tale of woe

My lohmann nolonger runs. It was in perfect running condition on a beautiful old bicycle. I have good memories of riding with it running . I put this combo together in 1982. It was very low powered, wouldn't push me up a hill without help. I really liked it being sort of a diesel. I stored it in a friend's barn. While I was on a year long trip, the barn burned down and melted alloy parts off the motor and ruined the antique bicycle it was mounted on. I kept the remains hoping to someday find replacement parts. No luck sofar. I had an ownersmanual as well, it totally burned up in the fire. The bicycle was british racing green, with a Hong Kong Bicycle co. decal, a front hub generator, rod brakes, and a 3speed rear hub with a coaster brake, 28X1 1/2 inch wheels, comfy leather saddle and a locking front fork. I bought this bicycle from a man who at one time had been the British Consulate to Hong Kong. He only rode the bike 3 times because he said that Hong Kong was too hilly. It was really very heavy for the little Lohmann to push.

168_burned_roadster_1.jpg

168_Labelled_lohmann_1.jpg

168_lohmann_gearcase_damage_1.jpg

168_lohmann_logo_1.jpg

hi, Akhilesh...welcome to MBc 8)

no, you're not required to use the board to correspond...but i'm sure the community would love to watch a "project" thread about this over in "general discussion" if you have the time to participate :)

Lohmann engine

Dear Bikeguy Joe, Azkronic, and Augidog,
Thanks a pile for the appreciation. Most people I know dismiss this kind of work as some kind of dementia, its only from fellow enthusiasts that one looks forward to real understanding and appreciation ! Augidog's point is well taken, and if it will be of interest to others I will be very glad to post the correspondence on this forum. By the way, will someone tell me why eveyone is Chinese ?
Regards,
Akhilesh

Lohmann engine

Dear Blaine,
Its very nice to hear from you. Should we correspond directly or by posts on the forum ? Someone has said that your project would be of interest to others as well, in which case I will be glad to post on the forum.

You certainly have all the equipment you need for this project ! What about measuring equipment, I presume you have a vernier, micrometer, and a dial bore gauge ? What kind of work do you do in the workshop, and do you do engine work like making model engines ?

Since you can make sand castings, it will help matters a great deal. The only way you can find an original Lohmann casting is to look for a discarded engine on ebay, but I don't know how long you might have to wait-I haven't found any major Lohmann parts for sale so far. Try ebay netherlands or germany-you might have better luck there.

Can you find old Lohmanns in the US ? I'd like to correct myself-in my last email I'd written that they were imported by Macy's-it should be Newage International instead. Have you considered my question whether it is worthwhile to repair your Lohmann or simpler to buy another ?

In case you decide to repair it, please go through my email and reply point by point. I think you need to take it apart and examine all the parts, at least visually, to assess the damage. Don't worry about the controls-they're not hard to make.

One kind- hearted enthusist from Holland mentored me in my Lohmann restoration and I will be very glad to assist you all the way ! So please go ahead and pose all the questions you want-if I can't answer them myself, I'll get the answers from my Dutch friend !

Best regards,
Akhilesh Agarwal

If you go to E Bay, scroll to the bottom, & click on Germany. Once that is open, type in " hilfsmotor ". There is a Lohmann motor, missing air cleaner & muffler, for sale, right now. There is, also, a Lohmann on a bike. You can type in " fahrrad mit hilfsmotor " [ motorized bicycle ] & you may find more. There are on-line translation sites that can help.[ somewhat ] Lohmann's are NOT cheap over there, either!

:LOL: :LOL:
Akhilesh- Everyone here is not Chinese, that's the origin of manufacture of the engines we have. :LOL: :LOL:

By the way, the way we pursue this hobby IS a sort of dementia, but it's the GOOD kind.....

Lohmann engine

Dear Esteban and Bike Guy Joe,
Thanks for helping with how to log on to ebay germany. I saw the Lohmann listed, its E 112 with 6 days to go. I got my Lohmann from marktplaatz.nl for about E 500. Lohmann's are not cheap, I think I was lucky to find one for 500. Prices easily go upto to 800 or so. One seller wanted E 2500 ! The missing aircleaner and silencer may not discount the price much, as the engine will work without them. How 's the Lohmann scene in the US ? I once fixed up a deal with an American in California, if I remember correctly, for USD 250, but the owner sold it to someone else, obviously for a higher price !

I see that my calling you all Chinese didn't go down well with Joe ! But I didn't mean that you are chinese, I was referring to your engines ! Bikeguy Joe, Azkronic, and Augidog all have Chinese 70 cc engines.

Anyone tried a weedeater engine for powering abicycle ? I got one from my son, who's studying in the US. Its very light, powerrful and has a Zama diaphragm carburettor. Other advantages are that it has a cooling fan and recoil starter [unlike Lohmann]. I understand that people convert weed eater engines for powering model planes !

Akhilesh

It has been a few years since this post, and was wondering how the final Lohmann modifications worked. I may be able to get an unused one in the box, and was just wondering if it was worth it if the engine overheats after an hours ride.

Back