My Long-Ride; A Run For The Sun.

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by augidog, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. augidog

augidog Banned

well, the alaskan prologue is coming to an end, and it's time to ponder "what's next?"

slackbiker's reply in the other topic brought to mind the Pablo Cruise lyrics "it's time to find your place in the sun"...and when i debark the ferry in bellingham wa in early october, that's exactly what i'm gonna do...

obviously, i'll be heading south in a hurry. at this point, i have to say i don't wanna do the coastal highway south, but i also don't wanna cross the mountains east too far north. i think i'm in for some tough riding no matter the choice. i think i'm in for some tough camping (when available this late in the season) along the way, too. this will be a marathon sprint to warmer weather, so i guess i'll have to tough it out.

once i'm back in the lower-48 and scheduling is my own again, my budget should be back on track quickly. i'm shedding some pounds off the payload, but not much i sure do like having tools parts clothing and other conveniences handy. i don't have the "luxuries" of road-support or a home-base, this is me & the bike & a modest monthy check.

i'm good for 100+ miles a day if need be, weather isn't an issue while riding only during layovers when i need to rest and recover. so, because as i've said "i like to ride but i'm no wilderness-man," i'm unashamedly putting out a call for (realistic) suggested routes and possible crash-points along the way.

2. Slackbiker

Slackbiker Member

The devil's in the details, but i would take I-90 to Ellensberg, 97 to Bend, 20 to Riley, and then 395 all the way South. That side of the mountains should be dryer. Mammoth Lakes has lots of free campgrounds and usually has O.K. weather in early Oct. An extremely difficult side trip could take you to Winter crash paradise, Saline Valley hotspring in Death Valley. There are also the Long-Term camps, Niland, Anzo Borrego, Yuma, Quartzite in the Southern Cal area.
  3. augidog

augidog Banned

you sure know yer way around...and you make sense, too...when time comes, i'll research that option. thank you.
  4. augidog

augidog Banned

a request for (un)moderation!
    would someone PLEASE put things back the way they were? pt. 1 "My Long-Ride; The Alaskan Prologue" is ending soon and should be UNstickied, and pt. 2 "My Long-Ride; A Run For The Sun" is starting soon.
    thanking you in advance.
  5. augidog

augidog Banned

well, some bad news...i damaged my mobile screen and can't see anything...i may not be able to access the last batch of pictures for posting in the alaskan thread. shoot i don't like what you guys did with merging my topics anyways so maybe it's no big deal.
  6. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

I am sorry to hear that your screen has been damaged. If you do not have an extended service plan on it, it can get expensive to repair.
    Not to mention locating a town with a repair shop, getting to it, and camping there until it is repaired.
  7. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

Hows the run going?
  8. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Augi....sorry to hear you left Alaska..your posts and pictures made for some good reading and viewing while working in my garage at night....whats about Mexico and on into Central America...more stuff for that book you are going to put together
  9. augidog

augidog Banned

well, the mix-up was a moderation glitch...i am still in alaska but am winding down...see the topic for updates...this topic, the "next chapter", is here to help me prepare and decide what to do the time i DO leave alaska, i expect we'll all have a pretty good idea of what's next.
  10. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I would have to take a good long rest after your trip ! My back & neck could never take what you have gone through !!
  11. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

With your rig, I would avoid Higway 1 in WA, very small sholder on a winding road (like some of my road, but hillier and sharper corners). When I was researching getting to OP a couple of years ago, what looked best to me was to run down from Bellingham to Whidby Is., then cross to Port Townsend, and head down and west. That would take you over to the coast. If you want to get to the east side of the Cascades, it might be easiest to go down to the Columbia, head east on WA 14 past the mountains and head south on 97. It should be a lot drier over there, but I'm not familiar with the road beyond Madras.
  12. augidog

augidog Banned

actually, esteban, my skeleton does pretty good...i have an upright riding posture, and the backpack is fairly light holding mostly just clothing & documents. my large fluffy 25-below sleeping bag and waterproof eureka tetragon tent both contribute to my comfort...wise investments no doubt.

what i do find inconvenient is making & breaking camp...i carry a lot of stuff and everything has to stow just-so for stable riding.

i do expect this run south will be a bit taxing but the good part will be that with every tough day of riding will take me closer to comfortable weather.

as it says in the "alaska" thread i have about 3.5 weeks left before i will have to embark on what will likely be the toughest part of this adventure...
  13. augidog

augidog Banned

hi van :) i hope you posting this morning means you've finally gotten some much needed (and deserved) time off.

i will avoid rt 1 & will likely use rt 9's also a bit challenging but it skirts the metro area and that i like.

when stude13 & i went to the salt flats, we went up the gorge, and i found it to be quite an experience...i will surely consider that route for getting out of dodge. but, i have news that quay & 'cruzin will be moving to eastern wa soon, and will have to find out where & would be quite groovy to have a final visit and ride with them if i can work it out :cool:
  14. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Well, another month is likely to see snow in the Stevens Pass route eastward out of the Seattle area, on US 2. You could run WA 203/202 down to I-90 at Issaquah, or perhaps even eastward to North Bend. Unfortunately, east from there is high mountains with a high likelihood of snow, and the only decent road is I-90 itself. You could cut off of WA 202 north of Snoqualmie onto WA 18 and go south from there.

Almost any of the passes in WA state are subject to having snow from mid-October on. Run down 18 to Maple Valley and then turn south on WA 169 to Enumclaw. East from there on WA 410 gives you a good state route that is actually one of the lower passes through the Cascades, and brings you around the northeastern shoulder of Ranier, then into the Yakima Basin on Wa 410/ US 12. That's a good road - I drove it in 2006 with my Mom, and really enjoyed it. Good shoulders, as I recall it.

Keep in mind that the Great Basin (everything between the Cascades/Sierras and the western outliers of the Rockies upthrust) is high, semi-arid to desert country. It gets COLD in them thar' hills, my friend. The western routes are wetter, but they are much warmer, on average, and they are vastly more populated - there is aid if needed close by.

You know what you are doing, and will be just fine, I'm sure. Just some thoughts for your consideration.
  15. augidog

augidog Banned

i guess i *finally* do "know what i'm doing"...and that is: i'm laying low for the winter (i'm very burnt-out on tent living) and will start the next leg of my long-ride come spring...washington state, east along a northern route towards michigan & GEBE...time allowing, into new england for the winter.

then, if all goes well with that, i'll mosey down the east coast to pay my respects to 'bama.

ride all summer, hole-up for the winter wherever i may be...after a whole season of pretty rough living conditions, i feel this new "plan" is more realistic than just trying to live on the bike full time.

so no "run for the sun" and sorry to have taken your time...however, the input here about MB'ing washington state is spot-on, imo an overall great experience :cool:
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  16. Slackbiker

Slackbiker Member

Congrats on the Trip....And i hear ya, May 1- Oct 1 is enough for me too. Mainly the nights just start getting too long.
  17. robin bird

robin bird Member

I think you are wise i just went thru Stevens pass (by car) 2 days ago to Seattle and it was cold and some sleet/rain. The shoulders are clear and the pass is quick unlike our Hope Princeton route which would be dangerous--but waiting it out would be good.
  18. wbuttry

wbuttry Member

im new here but i read augis thread and that is awesome man being able to do that that long i thought being on a bike for a week was a long time going to florida from missouri but augi u rule god bless you and may your ties keep air in them along with your lungs:bowdown:
  19. augidog

augidog Banned

hi wbuttry, and welcome to MBc :cool:

was that an MB you rode from mo to fla? pretty long ride i'd say.

"my long-ride" isn't really as long as it appears...timing & luck had much effect, and at times the whole thing could have easily been called "my long-wait"...and here i am again, cooling my heels. BUT, if one takes everything about the last 4 MByears into account, then one might agree it HAS truly been a "long-ride."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.