My next project - Tadpole Trike

Ain't no doubt about that Van, I just worry about maybe too much power. (no such thing).

Well, I decided to give up on waiting for the pipe from RnR Fabrication. I ordered another one from a different vendor. It'll probably take a couple of weeks to get here. I sometimes envy you people who can ride to a shop and see/touch a product, buy it and take it home.

Touch a product??

Van, that looks great. I have had to fab all exhaust pipes on customs. Just get a stock one, and let the sparks fly. It's part of the fun...

I just wanted to take another oportunity to let people know that I am Not At All happy with RnR Fabrication. I would advise that they be avoided. No response from them since they said they would check status, and advise me on January 18th. I have sent emails asking about the status of the status check, but no response. If this is too whiney, it can be deleted. I'm pretty tight-jawed.

Ain't nothing whiney about it. Gives others the heads up about where not to go.
Thanks
Doc

I think its marvelous what all you have done to your trike. As I started reading I didn't think it would go to such heights until I first saw the Lifan engine. I'm sure it will only get better once you get that exhaust pipe.
I have been considering using a TT cruiser which has I think the same frame, but different chain routing as the one you started with. Do you think a motor of similar size as the red one you have on there temporarily would fit between the upper seat supports, the lower bit of frame, and the wheel? The motor itself minus the length of the gear box. I am thinking that maybe I could fit a custom mount supported Gebe 35cc 4-stroke behind the seat there, as the gear box for them does not stick out either side of the motor wider than the motor itself.
I'm working in photoshop as I type superimposing images and some basic drawings of custom frames to get a better idea for sizing right now, that for another thread will start later this morning once I'm finished.

The Pipe is here, The Pipe is here!!

Doc, thanks for letting me know I wasn't just letting my anger get the better of me. I just received confirmation that the pipe I ordered from a different vendor is in town, awaiting my pick-up at the post office. I am so excited:D:D:D.

Oversoul87, The TT Cruiser frame is a little different from my Zoomer, but not much. I think you would have a few obstacles to overcome with mounting between the seat and rear wheel. Gebe Kit: You would have to make sure the belt would clear the chainstay, that might be tough. In addition, you would have to deal with fabricating your own ring for the belt to fit the 20" wheel (this has been done before, so should not, in itself, discourage you). Staton kit: It might be tough to get the unit to fit in that configuration (either friction or chain drive).

On the positive side: There are examples of kits that have the engine mounted over the rear wheel. I think the trike is an excellent platform for such an installation. Again, with Gebe you would have to create your own ring for the wheel. Pictures of Staton kits installed on TT Cruisers can he found at: http://www.staton-inc.com/photo_gallery.asp
So that would be the easiest route for you, and in my opinion the most reliable installation. (I think I would try to find a way to avoid mounting to the seat supports, to maintain adjustability of the seat back).

A note about Staton: While I find their products to be of very high quality, I have had communications difficulties with them, and am aware of a couple of other people who have also. And while I have always received the items I purchased from them, the communication problems have resulted in extra expenses on my part.:(

Alright. Got the pipe

I received the pipe today. I was working, so I had to wait a while to see if it would match up okay, etc.
IMG_2606.jpg

Looks pretty darn perfect to me.
IMG_2609.jpg

I still keep waiting for a problem to arise with this project. So far, the closest to a snag that has come up was having to grind the drive sprocket. Everything else seems to fit together like an M.I.T. grad planned this.

Tomorrow, my schedule goes something like - Make another pass at grinding on the drive sprocket (just to make sure I've got it thin enough). Work on mounting the engine (I'll need to create access to the drain plug through the plate the engine bolts to, etc. Might have to modify the mount extensively.). Both of these should go smooth. That leaves me with the things I haven't finalized (or even given too much thought to).
Where will I mount the battery? Gas tank? Passenger seat?
And there will, I'm sure, be a bunch of other details. And, put the Staton kit back on the Trek.

Back