My next project - Tadpole Trike

Ya got us all interested in the finished product. Nice addition for getting in and out. I can't seem to picture what kind of second seat you are going to use. It's a grasshopper on steroids! I guess it could be called the Stealth Bat Mobile! No matter what you call it, it's fantastic.

Alaska - You are going to have fun on that thing. And you know what my motto is. One thing, I was looking at your last pic and you are going to need to add an engine mount from the top of the head engine bolts down to the frame. we used to put those engines in Go Carts and it will flex if you just use the foot peg mounts. I could not find the size of your engine, but the original Honda 50cc puts out 5.5 hp. Most of the Lufan engines are 90cc 10.5 hp, or bigger. You might want to look for a wheel off a Honda or the like, it would be easy to fit, and you would get the heavy drive for the power. Have fun, Dave

It shouldn't be too tough to whip up a mount from the top to the frame. Thanks for the input. I'll put that on my list right below finding that da*n clip for the master link. I probably set it down somewhere safe while in the throes of an alzheimer's moment. I usually throw chain pieces into the box that holds my chain tools, but it's not there. I'm hoping that other, common, master link clips will work on a KMC 910. Anybody know?

Well, I didn't get much accomplished today. It took forever to get a chain tensioner on there. I'm not satisfied with it, but it's enough for now. I also moved the seat braces again. The passenger seat is back in the plan. I need to wait 'till the suspension seat post gets here, so I can pick a donor bike frame with the right diameter seat tube.
View attachment 4883

When I got tired of working on the tensioner, I looked at this. It's actually more convoluted in person, and I'm allergic to electricity.
View attachment 4884

So instead, Remembering Doc's comment about getting into, and out of the trike, I added a little something to make that easier.
View attachment 4885

View attachment 4886

Holy ****, cool stuff!! That engine is beautiful.

The second seat

A little background on the second seat. I intend to be pulling a trailer quite often with the trike. I have a trailer for my Trek which attaches to the seat post. Easiest thing to do for the trike was to put a seat post on it. If ya' got a seat post, might as well have a seat. I just cut the back off a bike in the parts pile, Ground and bent it to fit (I did get a bit of a kink in one part, but I'll be doing some reinforcing welding anyway, so I'll take care of that). I drilled the down tube and put a u bolt through it to anchor that (I'll have the unbolt welded in), and bolted the stays from the seat to the chainstays on the trike. I put fold-up pegs on the end of a piece of pipe and bolted that in.

IMG_2677.jpg

IMG_2678.jpg

IMG_2679.jpg

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

It seems to work.
IMG_2681.jpg

IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

I spent some time re-routing the brakes. (I moved the brake lever from the vertical tube to the bar extension). I saw a set of bar extensions in the parts pile that I like better than the ones on the trike, so I'll probly switch those. I also went to the 4th iteration of the gear shifters. I started with twist shifters on the vertical steering tubes. Then I moved them to the bar extensions. Then I replaced the rear shifter with a bar end shifter. Then I replaced them both with a set of shimano goose neck shifters attached to the right hand vertical steer tube. Now, on the right, there will be kill switch, starter, choke, throttle, and both shifters. On the left will be brakes, speedo, tach, and light switches.

On my "to do" list - Carb gaskets. Bend exhaust pipe so it ends close to the top of the chainstay. Learn about throttle cable connection, and order a cable if I have to. I should get the coil and rectifier later this week, she should be about ready to test a day or 2 after I get them.

By the way, I found a retaining clip at the LBS that fit the KMC 910 chain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lookin good Van, that second seat mod looks like it was designed from the get go. Great work and great thread.

Maybe put a comfortable gelled springer seat on the back. That might be a hard ride over the rear with a solid seat. Or you could attach the type seat like the one in the front (recumbant type) for comfort, then maybe put a handhold on each side of the rear seat so that person could steady themselves. Very cool stuff Van, thanks for the ongoing update, keep em coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey alaskavan

very good to have,im thinkin room for saddlebags.now you have a frame for some motor plates coverups.i really want to know the size of those saddles roland sells ive emailed twice for the size?no answer:eek:

Back