NE5 intake without copper sleave?

L

likemyspoiler

I am doing some upgrades on my wifes 2005 NE5 & have carb removed & noticed it doesn't have a copper sleave in intake like every other NE engine I have had apart. I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this & why?

My intake has a sleeve but it is not copper if I recall. The sleeve is used to compensate for imperfections in the aluminum casting of the intake passage. It makes a nice smooth passage. Look close because it may be a steel sleeve.

Jim

Last edited:
Hi Guys, The WC-1 had a steel sleeve in the intake port. The very early NE cylinders were sleeved by me and had a brass sleeve, and one was sent to Dave at Whizzer USA on a test motor. Later I used aluminum pipe [not tubing] in place of the early brass sleeve. The factory installed sleeves on the NE varied in size from 18 MM to 19 MM I.D., and were aluminum.

Have fun,

Attachments

• NE5BrassIntake.jpg
    NE5BrassIntake.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
I looked closer & I think it may have an aluminum sleave. my other 3 NE's have a copper intake sleave. I thought the copper sleaves where most common because of that. My odd one out of the 4 is aluminum & the most common. It figures, I end up with the weird stuff!! Thanks for the info, Dan

Back