Need a Skyhawk 111 Expert

So now that you know what is like with the gear box, chains and stuff would you still go with this set up or with a friction drive if you were doing it again from scratch?
long question this one eh..
Bcause I think there is better power transfer with a chain drive vs friction..no?

Personally, I have not had the problems with my gearbpx the OP did. If I just wanted an engine to push me along and function was all that mattered to me, I might consider friction. There are many plusses.

However, as I wanted to build an early motorcycle inspired bike and function, while very important, was not my only factor- aesthetics matter too....I'd still stick with my Honda/Grubee Skyhawk....or maybe consider an EZM without the cover.

hmmm, a mesh side cover might be interesting :):):)
I used to make perforated sheet into PC case fan covers
maybe a future project

Personally, I have not had the problems with my gearbpx the OP did. If I just wanted an engine to push me along and function was all that mattered to me, I might consider friction. There are many plusses.

However, as I wanted to build an early motorcycle inspired bike and function, while very important, was not my only factor- aesthetics matter too....I'd still stick with my Honda/Grubee Skyhawk....or maybe consider an EZM without the cover.

Thanks, I have two other bikes, the thrill is gone now, I used to have the two and a scooter but it was stolen and I swore I would never buy another.
I think I found what I was looking for in an MB, have my engine already, and a nice basket (which I've seen very few bikes with). Time for a kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have been have in a lot of issues with my clutch and spring and that dauym bushing i have broke 2 springs and burnt up like 3 bushings in my stage 2 its been drivein me crazy ...

john

do you file that key down... and slid on the crank and bottom it out.
then mount the clutch then the bells then the bushing then the washer then the nut ?
iam asking because when i first put it together 2 years ago i taped the key in with a small hammer i haven't had issues ontill a few mouths ago

but i seen with my own eyes all them bushings that Jeramey sent me are different sizes
i run a open pipe so i never listen to that gearbox

i have been have in a lot of issues with my clutch and spring and that dauym bushing i have broke 2 springs and burnt up like 3 bushings in my stage 2 its been drivein me crazy ...

john

do you file that key down... and slid on the crank and bottom it out.
then mount the clutch then the bells then the bushing then the washer then the nut ?
iam asking because when i first put it together 2 years ago i taped the key in with a small hammer i haven't had issues ontill a few mouths ago

but i seen with my own eyes all them bushings that Jeramey sent me are different sizes
i run a open pipe so i never listen to that gearbox

Masterlink, I'm not sure what you mean about sliding on the crank - the crank isn't part of the gearbox or even the motored drivetrain but I use extra heavy duty crank bearings because it's very easy to crunch the standard ones to bits with the increased leverage from the wide crank combined with my ball-crunching powerfull legs!
I do file the keys because I have to - the keyway on the clutches don't match the keyway on the bushings - the clutches are made in a Govt factory which might explain their variance but I too notice that the bushing vary as well. It's good to have a bit of a stockpile of bushings because it helps to get the best fitting one. I also make a lot of my own keys from lengths of key steel. It's just a job of careful filing with a good file in a vice. I keep trying it out for size after every few passes of the file until I get a really good fit that is tight without having to be hammered too hard to get it onto the shaft. Once the clutch is fitted I slide on the bushing and bell housing together with grease in between. Every so often (about twice as frequently as oil changes) I regrease the gearbox by smearing lithium grease around all the teeth. The bolt and washer on the end of the drive shaft go on last. Try to get as little lateral play on the bell housing as possible - i.e. if you hold it by the outside of the bell it shouldn't be able to move about - and once you have done all this you shouldn't have problems with the GB unless you let friends ride your bike - that's a recipe for disaster!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back