Need some help please

adargie

Local time
7:07 AM
I purchased a BBR tuning 49CC engine and spent about a week installing the parts / reinstalling as instructions were poor.

I finally got it running and decently tuned and got several small 2 mile rides in before taking the plunge and taking it on a 12 mile ride.

Next morning I jumped back on the bike and started peddling and got the engine started and then about a mile from the house it started to run really rough, got a few small back fires and just died.

Got it sort of running again and as soon as I pulled in the clutch it died again and I have not been able to restart.

I Started electrical troubleshooting based on online support and lack of support from mfg and was able to get readings from the magneto that were in range, no readings off the CDI and as you can see the spark plug is pretty clean so stuff is not getting burned.

I also went through all their suggested steps - checking carb, throttle assembly, clutch, etc before a new CDI was shipped about a week later. Same issue - could not get engine to fire and no readings.

Support is currently evaluating my case and deciding if they want to ship a replacement for the it, In the meantime, I purchased a new one off Amazon and have exactly the same issues - no starting and no meter readings.

I have pulled the kill switch out of the equation so it's just the magneto and cdi at this point. Is this a common issue with these CDIs, am I doing something wrong, any suggestions?

I went through the carb again last night and verified the choke is working and the throttle is opening and closing. Thank you for any guidance

Moderators Note:
Please do not run everything together in a solid wall of text, It makes it cumbersome to read for our members as well as myself and when we see it like this, we usually skip right over it and go onto the next person that needs help.

I have broken it up for you this time and should give you a good idea of what we are talking about.

Thank-you

Attachments

• IMG_20230620_181057580.jpg
    IMG_20230620_181057580.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20230627_050555886.jpg
    IMG_20230627_050555886.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20230620_124157040.jpg
    IMG_20230620_124157040.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 55
I had replaced the plug originally as I had heard lots of comments about the stock plugs. I did purchase an NGK BR6HS as that was a model that someone else had suggested. I will put that one back in and test again.

I also snugged up the head bolts as there was just a small bit of play. I also pulled the carb of the intake pipe and reseated the intake back onto the block before reseating the carb.

I have tested the fuel bowl drip so it is getting gas there. I pulled the plug and ran the spark test against the block and can get spark. I am getting a few drips out of the exhaust so it's apparent that stuff is not getting burned.

Tomorrow I am going to pull the magneto out and get that cleaned up and check the gapping.

Also my plug is gapped to about .030 and my gas mix is 40:1. Thank you for the suggestions.

Also check the ignition wires, sometimes those cheap bullet connectors are not very tight and you will get internittent spark. That's a real bummer having 2 engines do the same. I have been tempted to buy the $100 engines, but for the 66cc's 2 strokes, I always get the Zeda's, they're $90 more but I've had really good reliability with them. Never tried a BBR engine. Hope you get it figured out

I was so hopeful starting the day out.

Pulled the magneto and cleaned things up in there, doesn't seem to be any adjustment with the 4 bolts that lock things into place.

Re-gapped the ngk plug as suggested above, drained my tank, mixed up a new 25:1 batch and replaced the fuel lines.

I am getting the same behavior - sounds like it wants to turn over only when the throttle is open a bit, choke midway to the down position and I am on a hill or peddling like a madman. As soon as I slow or pull in on the clutch it all dies. At the end of all my sessions I am getting some oil/gas mixture dripping out of the exhaust pipe.

No dirt in the filter or in the bottom of the float bowl when I took that apart. I have less than an hour of actual running time on this engine before it just stopped firing. As I have said, I checked the float and didn't appear to be stuck and was lying flat about 1/32-16th or so about the carb body. Thank you

Back