Need Advice on engines

If you intend to pedal just to get started a single speed is fine,Staton hubs have a right side freewheel only, no cassette. So you are single speed unless you have a front deraileur on the bike.If you are looking for exercise this may have some appeal because the pedaling rate would be lower at the 20/30 mph. you'll prob. be running at.Another thing roller drives have some drawbacks too,poor traction under wet conditions and tire wear,but I have no experience,do some searching.

Last edited by a moderator:
The trouble is not the jack shaft but what the jack shaft bolts to.

Agreed, it would be wonderful if it worked with the jap engines but until it does i'm staying the heck away from that headache.

Agreed,it does seem odd that nothing has shown up so far,is it possible that some HT's have actually improved,but are getting a bad rap?.There is nothing wrong with the basic design,just crummy components and lack of QC. The 3/16 chain to the rear would lead a rather strenuous existence I would imagine.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, shouldn't you be on your way north?
I have been meaning to become a Canadian citizen to get free LASIK eye surgery and some more of that free health care stuff, but I think I'd need a better bike to get there.

But if you're referring to the hurricane coming... I think it's gonna be alright. At least half the neighborhood left when Katrina came. Nobody has left for Gustav. I've been paying attention to the radar at www.wunderground.com, and it's mostly died out. Is starting to come back, but I'm ready for a good fight.

'Bout to cross the street and eat some food at a friends house and then walk back when it's raining. Hurricane Party!!

Back