New Engine mounting system

It's not quite that simple but you are not far out personally I perfer Elon Musks' comment which goes roughly along the lines that a patent is buying a lottery ticket to a lawsuit where the only winners will be lawyers

It's not quite that simple but you are not far out personally I perfer Elon Musks' comment which goes roughly along the lines that a patent is buying a lottery ticket to a lawsuit where the only winners will be lawyers
Touche ;-}

perfect answer :) lawyers are the only ones that get ahead.

used to make mining/agricultural stuff.

we had a barrel of castings, auger pilot bits.

for one client, we ground the numbers off and used 6 pieces of carbide on each edge.

another client had the numbers removed but only had five pieces of carbide per edge, and the tip pieces were a different shape.

and finally, one person took them with the numbers, with hardfaced edges and one piece of carbide on the tips...

we had lots of castings like that...

some we just welded up certain holes and ground them flush...

nobody cared as long as they got what they wanted.

but lawyers are the only ones that make money if anyone did happen to care and start legal procedings.

we wouldnt make the parts, they wouldnt have the parts to sell, and finding someone else to do just their item specifically was not cost effective.

have you ever submitted an idea to one of those "development" companies?

the clause at the bottom says " 99% of clients dont make a profit, product doesnt reach market, this is a fee based service..."

they charge you for taking your idea, and letting someone else make the money from it.

its not like a century ago when any old blacksmith could patent a new engine and become famous for it...

~3 decades ago I went through all but the last step (payment) to get a patent on waterbed sheets I came up with and actually made and used.

Clever actually but you would have had to own a waterbed to understand how the they worked and most people don't even know what a water bed is these days.

Unlike the beanbag chair of the same generation and can sill be found, the waterbed is pretty much gone.
But I wander...

The first thing to do with a new idea you plan to patent some day is put your whole design on paper, then put it in an envelope and send it registered US mail to yourself and don't open it.
This is your 'Proof of first concept' so if someone else claims they invented it first you can prove it was you.

I still remember going to the post office and telling the clerk what I wanted to do, and he put postmarks all around the flap seal on the back, like 5 of them, and then the one on the front.
'This will prove the letter has not been tampered with in the future' he said.

I felt all smart and special that day ;-}
Other than that days 'special feeling' and loving how much easier it was to change our sheets, that's all I got.
Know what? It was worth it ;-}