New member from New Zealand.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sianelle, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Hello everyone, I'm very pleased to have found this forum as I've been toying with the idea of motorising one of my elderly bicycles for a while now. I own a small collection of older English bicycles which I really enjoy riding as well as an electric assisted utlity tricycle which I use as my 'car' and general go-and-fetch-it vehicle.
    My main interest lies in using interesting older and 'heroic' engines such as the English 'Villiers' since I have so many of them (blush). My Dad and brothers were tradesmen and they taught me how to do all kinds of things with tools and metal that most women never get to learn.
    I look forward to exploring the forums and in the process I hope to learn even more about the fun that can be had with a bicycle. Cheers.

2. drimpact

drimpact Member

Welcome to MBc

3. azbill

azbill Active Member

welcome to MBc ! :D

4. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Welcome to MBc.

5. dbigkahunna

dbigkahunna Guest

Welcome and glad you found MBc. Check out the Heritage section of the forum. From the Giant Side of Texas!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2007
  6. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Yes! - I spent a couple of happy hours last night exploring the Heritage section and was quite delighted by what I saw there.
    Thankyou for the welcome greetings everyone :grin:

7. Klox

Klox Guest

O goody! Another Kiwi! Welcome, Sianelle!

8. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

heroism is getting a lohmann to start in the wet... I have been tempted by the older engines myself, trouble is mainly availability of spare parts and such.. i dont have the tools or the ability to fab stuff up.

sigh, my brother is an auditor although I have fun memories of the look on someones face when he'd just restored a Field-Marshall and someone tried to start it with a shotgun cartridge... engine go bye bye :roll:

There was a VAP4 on ebay - I am in the middle of building a Schwinn deluxe 7 with the 32cc belt drive from GEBE. My first bike was stolen recently :(

welcome to the madness that is MBc

Jemma xx

9. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

That's absolutely awful about your bike being stolen Jemma. Bike thieves need to have certain parts of their bodies chopped off and I'm not just talking about their hands either :-x
    I've read some of your posts as I've been going through all the forum threads in an effort to get up to speed with everything and I can tell you're very much an enthusiast when it comes to motor-bicycles:grin:
    Did you own a Lohmann? I've never seen one myself, but I have heard of them. They're a diesel aren't they? - which is why I can guess they'd be a challenge to start in the wet.

10. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

Lohmann are an 18cc adjustable head compression ignition engine...

the best fuel mix I have heard of is a 1:20 fuel/oil mixture

the fuel being 4 parts diesel to 1 part petrol (petrol alone is too runny apparently) - "I love the smell of fried motoredbiker in the morning" ... lol

They are roller driver engines mounted to the area behind the crank and driving the lower front quarter of the rear wheel...

Their advantage being that theoretically as long as something will combust a lohmann will run on it...

its a baby cousin to the semi-diesel tractors of the 19-teens to 50's used in eastern europe

Jemma xx

11. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

Sianelle, You are missed.

12. Narroc

Narroc New Member

Mopeds & Power bikes.

Sianelle.
    My first moped was a Mini Motor which drove on to the rear wheel of my push bike I used this to go to high School I bought this from earning from planting cabbages over the Christmas school holidays. Then I bought a 1949 Francis Barnett 98cc single speed Villiers horizontal motor moped/power bike in 1956 from Butlers here in Christchurch all in pieces for I think it was about 5 pounds I didn’t realise the cylinder head was missing plus a few less serious bits at the time
    Eventually my brother who good on a lathe made me a cylinder head from aluminium.
    I got it going then made the mistake of registering it as a 98cc moped and the postmaster called me back to informs me that because it was over 49cc it could not be registered as a moped but had to be registered as a motor bike and would require an M/K licence so my interest fell away.
    It got left under my brother’s house in Bluff and he cleared the stuff from under house and took it all to the dump when he sold it in 1973. I at that time had long moved up to Hamilton.
    The Villiers motor was similar to the motors they made for lawnmowers only it was horizontal and had a detachable head
    Boy would I love to have it now.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011