New project advise please

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by satoch, Jan 14, 2008.

1. satoch

satoch New Member

OK, I'm new to motored bikes but I'm very familiar with 2-stroke engines as I'm a semi-pro RC Car racer and am very mechanically inclined. I have strong fabrication capabilities and plan to make my own gas tank, mod stock fenders, and fabricate motor mounts to the frame of this extended cruiser frame:
    http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj9/satoch/micargichrome.jpg

The final project will look more like this:
    http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj9/satoch/Bike2.jpg

I've decided against the Chinese kits. Any other suggestions? Please keep in mind that aesthetics are VERY important and I have no problem fabricating a new exhaust pipe.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, don't know how to resize yet...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2008

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

hiya satoch...it appears you've not checked out how we run things here, your welcome message has some good info for the new guy...it's forum policy that everyone stop in at "introduce yourself" and say howdy to the group.

also, read my sig for more info on posting images on MBc.

3. hot70cc

hot70cc Guest

IMO , i think the chinese kit will look cool on that bike, I'm not sure how any other engine will look with that bike. Yeah the chinese engine may not be the best way to go, but for overall look I Thinks it awsome. You don't want to put a boxey lookin frame mount 4-stroke, in that frame, because it wouldn't run with the frame lines. I don't know, its your ride, and you sound smarter than me. also i think you should put some kind of unique fenders on there, it looks to plane without them

4. satoch

satoch New Member

hot70cc, thanks for your input. I agree with you, I've seen the 4 strokes and while I like their torque, sound and quietness they do look sad. Maybe someone knows of a quality engine similar in look to the Chinese single poppers.

Oh, and I'm considering at least a rear bobbed fender.

5. hot70cc

hot70cc Guest

6. satoch

satoch New Member

I've got no problem with a 49cc engine. I can always hotrod it. I just want a reliable and quiet engine with a wide enough torque curve that looks good also.

7. hot70cc

hot70cc Guest

So what do you think of that motor, i'm guess it would be a reliable motor, The only problem is doing all the mods to it , to make it work on your bike, because it doesn't have anything included with the motor, but then again with you knowledge, it shouldn't be a problem. If i had the skill i would try it.

8. That's an interesting point....why is it that all 4 strokes look so boring compared to the 2 stroke Happy Times.....If one could ditch the shroud would it look OK then?....I realize that the shroud is often used to direct cooling air from flywheel's "fan" but does a 4 stroke engine really need all that air flow?...It's firing only every other revolution as opposed to every time for our lil 2 strokers..
    Andrew

9. satoch

satoch New Member

Well I found a used Tomos moped to use as a donor bike. I will basically be using the rear wheel and brake system. Also, the engine block and tranny will be grafted on to the Micargi bike frame. I'm going to rebuild the engine with a 70cc high performance kit and get a performance pipe.

I still need a reasonably priced set of very long shock down tubes. The mountain bike ones are really expensive. Any ideas?

10. hot70cc

hot70cc Guest

curious to know what for" high performance" engine or parts you are going to use

11. satoch

satoch New Member

12. hot70cc

hot70cc Guest

Ok you must have some serious money to spend on the motor, they only thing i'm worried about, is the motor itself , i would like to see some kind of reviews before i paid $1000 for a motor and exhaust for a bicycle. If thats what you are looking for and have the money to waste go for it, but with my funds there is no way i would pay more that 300 for a complete kit for a bicycle. If it is going to be a show bike and not ride it all the time i would do it if i had the extra money, but if it is an everyday bike i wouldn't cause 2 to 300 more you can have a dependable moped. Its your money you can spend how you choose lol good luck.

13. satoch

satoch New Member

I have found out from a group of local Chicago guys, and others on the net, that the Tomos brand they say it is a very reliable engine/brand. The engines get around 6000 miles before needing a rebuild on the top half. Parts are readily available also.

True this will be a daily driven show bike so I don't mind spending the extra money. Until I became a full sponsored racer I would spend up to $350 per motor and go through 2 a season in my nitro powered RC car. Motored bikes are cheap in comparison-and the fuel doesn't cost $30/gallon either!:smile:

14. connoisseur

connoisseur Guest

15. satoch

satoch New Member

Looks good! Can we see some more pics?!

Update: I got the Tomos Streetmate the other day and it looks great (except for the front end damage. LOL). I've decided on the Micargi Bronco frame as it sits even lower http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj9/satoch/BRONCO-s.jpg .

I've also had the amazing luck of finding an American made aftermarket frame that the company will sell me the motor mount seperately so that I can weld it to my frame http://www.soundspeedscooters.com/romeo .

So here is the latest rendition of the project: http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj9/satoch/Bike12.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  16. connoisseur

connoisseur Guest

17. petite morty

petite morty Guest

I like where you intend to place the motor on your stretched out bike, Satoch. I think the aesthetics of a bike are very dependant on the position on the engine, angle of the head versus the front downtube, etc. Thats also why I got a two stroke Happy Time type engine instead of a quieter, more reliable 4 stroke, just because I think they look better on any shaped frame. And honestly, I don't like most of the stretched out bikes with motors I have seen. That little motor looks lost in that big frame opening. But I like yours, because the motors in the right place....

18. satoch

satoch New Member

Thanks petite morty. I have always insisted that the aesthetics of the bike be addressed also.

Update: My donor moped and Micargi Bronco GTS bike have arrived. I was fortunate enough to find a guy making an aftermarket frame for Tomos mopeds. He has the perfect motormount that he's willing to sell me seperately. I'm on my way. I want to keep this vehicle as much bicycle as possible. I want it light and biycle looking more so than moped looking.

19. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Cool project. I hope you'll give us pics of the build.

20. soundspeedscooters

soundspeedscooters New Member

satoch:

Great to see you're moving along with your project. Keep us in the loop as well, we are starting a picture gallery of your customers' finished projects!

Thanks.

Rob
    http://soundspeedscooters.com