New Schwinn Project

B

bgem41

Hello MotBikers,
After lurking and reading for almost 6 months, I have made my purchases, they are:
The Shwinn Point Beach Cruiserhttp://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5585804#reviews arrived yesterday.
Dax 65cc kit came today.
Armidillo tires came today.
Awaiting Simpsons chrome POO-POO pipe and headlight/ genset.

Let the building BEGINN!!!! :D:D:D:D

I will keep posting as I proceed. I have my own ideas about a light and the wiring and will post as it proceeds on a separate thread. My main goal is to GGGEETT RRREEEAAADDY TO RRRIIIDDDEEE.

BGEM41

I have looked at this bike too. Please send pics and info of the building. I wish it was a three speed myself. Keep us informed!

Impatience / OOOOOPS

OK, I lied alittle bit.
I went to a bike shop and brought home the Armidilo tires and heavey duty thorn resistant tubes. They did not arrive, I went and got them and brought them home for tomorrow's start on the build.

Well, I had to open the bike box just to have a peek. OOOOOPS!!!!

Next thing I know :eek:, the bike is out of the box, the front tire is off and the first Armidillo is 1/2 way on :eek:. I pulled out the tube and noticed that the stem looked funny :confused: and proceeded to continue until I pulled out the second tube just to check the valve stem. This one looked like the two on the original bike. I checked the boxes and discovered that the 32mm Presta valve does not look like the Schrader valves at all.

Opinions on the Schrader vs the Presta valves? I want them to match and I think the Schraders are OK, but I don't know.

I guess that the front tire will not have a tube in it for a little while 'till I get another in exchange. Meanwhile, much work needs to be done.

Project 1: change rear tire and tube.
P2: True and balance wheel
P3: Install 44 tooth gear on rear wheel
P4: Install both wheels and tune bike.

I will stop at this. I have patience :rolleyes: 'till tomorrow.

Bgem41

Last edited by a moderator:
Update 3/17/08

Happy St. Pats to all,

32mm presta valve was exchange for for a Schrader valve type. No problem. Next morning, rear tire was flat. Found hole in a seam in tube from the manufacturer. Getting another when the bike shop gets them in, 1-2 days. Hope this is not an indication of how things are going to go. 2 tubes and exchange both (???).

Mounted Gear on rear wheel backwards. Read post here and realized it. Thank you.

Dry run to mount the engine. Bicycle tube diameter 1.5". Clearance between inside of bolts on front mount of Dax 65 approx. 1.375. Need to do some figuring. Getting a length of 6mm x 1mm threaded stock to try to use included mounting plate for extra wide front frame tubes tomorrow. Suggestions?

Slow start. The odessy continues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Progress to Date

Hello All,
If I can get the pickures to post, I will explain them.

1. 1.5" tube does not fit 1.375" space between bolts.
2. Drill and tap plate to fit down tube
3. Insert bolt until two threads are exposed, Peen them over and center punch to hold in place.

I ran a die over the threads where messed up from holding therm in a vise while peening and they did not break loose. I am confident that they will stay.

bgem41

Attachments

• 2Front Mount.JPG
    2Front Mount.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 323
  • 3Mounting Plate.JPG
    3Mounting Plate.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 293
  • 4Peened&c-punched.JPG
    4Peened&c-punched.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 278
Update

Here are more photos:

1. Adapter plate mounted to engine.
2. The finished mount - double nutted front and back
3. Engine bolted up tight
4. Rear Gear - double nutted with nylon locking nuts

My progress is rather slow, but I read alot on this forum before making the next move.

Oh yeah, the jug just screamed to be painted.

bgem41

Attachments

• Mounted.JPG
    Mounted.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 322
  • Front Done.JPG
    Front Done.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 348
  • Bolted Tight.JPG
    Bolted Tight.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 339
  • Rear Gear.JPG
    Rear Gear.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 307
Looking very neat & well built , so far. Don't be too impatient, though. Take your time building it, read about other's mistakes & their corrections on this site,,, & make your project " built right, " the first time. I like that style bike !

I too like that style very much.

The slow and cautious approach seems to be working for you. Cant wait to see a more complete build, don't hurry though. Looking good so far.

Back