New Staton axle mounted kits

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mifletz, Jan 28, 2010.

1. mifletz

mifletz Member

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010

2. robin bird

robin bird Member

I have the rack mount and i like it cus it is out of the way for the trail riding i do -up away from stones but the axel mount would be better for street riding --no chain loosening--quieter because out of the way-probably more power because close to wheel ---easier to conceal---easier to mount.

3. roughrider504

roughrider504 Member

Looks like you'll need a flip-flop hub for it to work

4. Warner

Warner Member

I like the idea...a LOT! It gets the center of gravity lower to the ground, makes installation SIMPLE, moves the noise further away from the rider, and may transfer a tiny bit more power to the hub/wheel. The only negative is that the engine does become more vulnerable to accidents. You'd have to be aware of that big outrigger whenever you were in close quarters. But overall, a really good idea, I think!

Warner

5. andyszyd

andyszyd Member

Kit looks interesting, but I am not impressed with the antyspin bracket attached to bike frame with a clamp!

Looks cheap, and not solid of all.

Surely Staton did not impress me with this clamp.

6. Warner

Warner Member

I like the idea...a LOT! It gets the center of gravity lower to the ground, makes installation SIMPLE, moves the noise further away from the rider, and may transfer a tiny bit more power to the hub/wheel. The only negative is that the engine does become more vulnerable to accidents. You'd have to be aware of that big outrigger whenever you were in close quarters. But overall, a really good idea, I think!

Warner

7. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Since it's "coming soon", and based on other Staton products, I would guess (and it is a guess), that the bracket will be specially manufacturerd for the purpose when it is ready to be sold.

It's not my style, but for pure function and easy of use, I can not find fault with it.

8. augidog

augidog Banned

like a gas-powered u.s. pro-drive...pretty neat alright.

9. andyszyd

andyszyd Member

This is nothing new. Postwar Europe France or Germany or both had similar mass produced setups like this but these were direct driven which is better, not a chain driven. Many, many thousands of those were sold.

One of them even had 2 gears I believe.

So Staton did not discover America here. But more choices for a MB lovers is always a good thing.

10. seanhan

seanhan Member

It's hard to say without riding one ????
    But the case on the gearbox looks sweet !!!!!!

11. jg767

jg767 Member

The Morini FM128 is very similar.but direct drive and only 1.1 hp. It's on the Morini Kickbutt Engines site. But I like the lower center of gravity and the lighter gear box of this new Staton creation. The only drawback is it being offset so much, but at speed I'm sure it's not a problem. I have 23k on the inside chain drive, so I think this new one would be bulletproof as well, and much easier to install. Agood choice for a Newbie.

12. strotter

strotter Member

About to take the plunge...... I will keep you updated....

13. seanhan

seanhan Member

Go for it !!!

No Guts No Glory !!!!!
    Besides I bet you could convert it the a rack mount if it sucks..
    Looks like the same gearbox to me...

14. strotter

strotter Member

Ordered tonight...

15. Stoney

Stoney Member

how many inches is it off the ground?

16. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

It is not the same gearbox. The intermediate gear is missing because the engine is on the left side. Drive setup spins clockwise and sprockets turn CCW.

Is there a freewheel or does the clutch provide disengagement?

Strotter, how much was the kit, and which engine did you choose?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2010
  17. strotter

strotter Member

I got the subaru 33. Total with shipping was $522.
    I was going to go with another friction drive, but staton conviced me to try this setup.

My biggest concern was freewheel/pedaling without the motor being on. According to a email response from Staton, the resistence is "absolutly zero".

I will keep you posted on the progress. (havn't recieved yet) If it comes today, I will install this weekend.....

18. Warner

Warner Member

If it's setup the same was as his usual rack mounts with the freewheel....he's telling the truth....the only resistance would be from the tiny bit the freewheel uses to move....in essence, NOTHING.

Warner

19. beast775

beast775 Guest

cool

i really think this is a great setup,ive tried a motorwheel and this would feel similar.i like the new gear box looks wicked!:cool:

20. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

I like this idea....hate the look. I have a Staton chain and friction drive. I like the fact I can easily cover the motor on my friction and ride the Metro train. I have an extra RS engine that I'd love to marry to a bike. This might be an option for me. Did you also purchase the special hub/wheel and freewheel sprocket? This setup is also likely to be quieter because of the lower motor mount. Keep us updated.
    -mike