Newbie intro /felt bike info needed

Right, the clamshell adapter comes with a spacer to bring the brake arm out a bit. You will need 2 of these spacers (welded together) to clear the 3" tire. You will also need to get rid of the screws they give you to attach the sprocket and use flat head screw with some finishing washers or the heads of the screws will not clear the brake arm. If you get your adapter from Livefastmotors you will need to buy a sprocket from them also as the holes in the one from your kit will not align with the adapter. Also, I would bore the holes in the adapter a bit bigger and tap new threads for bigger bolts (the adapter is aluminum). The bolts supplied are M5 or M6 and I have had them break from torque. You may also need to ditch the chain from the kit. I used a KMC 510 BMX chain and cut to size because it is strong and quite a bit narrower and also helps to clear the tire. The BMX chain does not like to fit on the engine drive sprocket very well so you will need to remove some material there. The fender will need to be notched out for the chain. You will most likely need a longer axle in order to catch some threads with your axle nuts. Also you will need to dish the rim (several times in my case) to center the rubber (tire) between the chains and tweak the frame by about 1/2" to get the whole assembly to fit between the dropouts. Once finished and dialed in, it works quite well, just alot of monkey business for a 3" tire!! I built mine in the winter so was able to just take my time. Hope this helps you with yours. I checked out the Felt bikes website and they are very sharp. I like the MP and the Rat Patrol because they look alot like the first Harleys from 1903.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, That's a huge help! I am hoping to find some flat top allen bolts(for the sprocket) where the allen hole is down in the shaft instead of raised above it. I think that will help with clearance. I'm getting a bunch of parts from Felt to piece a bike together so I'll post some progress pics as I go ahead with it.

Back