Nice Jackshaft Idea

The kit should be available by the end of this month.

You can use your thumb shifter but we recommend a twist shifter or "rapid fire", we have found that the thumb shifter has too much travel and will require removing your hand from the handlebars to go from top gear to low gear when coming to a stop.

You do not need to replace your old chain as long as it is in good condition. There will be more force on it and must shift smoothly.

Your derailleur should be fine as long as the freewheel is in good condition and you have a good quality axle, you should use a chromoly axle, regular steel axle may bend.

The kit should retail under $200 USD, exact price won't be determined until all our parts have been purchased.

Folks - we are getting very close to shipping. We will roll out our website and ordering information mid-July. The lead times and shipping from several of our suppliers were extended - and the logistics are crazy as you might imagine.

In the mean time we have continued to test the shifter kit to the extremes.

how many will be initially on offer? any chance of mbc members getting first dibs, or at least setting up an informal reserve list here on the site? i understand the logistics are all ready hard, so if this is too much that's fine. but if there's going to be limited numbers initially available, i want one :p.

how many will be initially on offer? any chance of mbc members getting first dibs, or at least setting up an informal reserve list here on the site? i understand the logistics are all ready hard, so if this is too much that's fine. but if there's going to be limited numbers initially available, i want one :p.

The websites will get first dibs because you will see our site first. Initially we will have 50 kits, and now that everything is aligned we are ordering more parts. As we distribute these kits, there should be no perceived gaps in our distribution. Our solid suppliers have been selected and PO's awarded, quantities are arriving daily. We now know and can control the lead times, barring some unforeseen disaster. We as of yet have not assembled the first full customer kit, but have some mock-up kits in the shop.
As far as a reserve list, the above should make this unnecessary. We will be first come, first served on roll-out day - when we have payment received we will try to ship the next day. Some patience may be necessary (as huge amount has been needed since March), but our goal will be next day shipping.

ok :) hope the demand meets the supply and vise versa! i personally can't wait.

Ghost,
Have you tried your new setup on anything that is similar to mountain bike trails? How does it pull up hill at low speed like you would use on a trail?

I ride in my back yard all the time, it pulls very well in low gear - considering it's a two stroke 70cc engine. This is with the stock supplied gearing. We will also sell an optional lower gear - with that I can ride like a trials bike.

The optional lower gear is what? A chainring? Or something on the jackshaft.
With the optional low gear what does it ride like on the road?
I like to do both. How hard would it be to switch?
Thanks!

The optional lower gear is what? A chainring? Or something on the jackshaft.
With the optional low gear what does it ride like on the road?
I like to do both. How hard would it be to switch?
Thanks!

The driving (right) side of the jackshaft. The gear that drives the chainring. Stock is a 10 tooth, which is really just fine for trails, roads, etc. I go 35+ in 4th with 5th and 6th to spare. Yet I can easily take off with the clutch in low with barely any throttle. Putt around the yard etc.

We can have an 8 or 9 tooth gear. I have the 8 tooth on now and I can take off in 2nd or 3rd, and it does run through the gears really fast, still does 30+ in 6th. However the 8 tooth is quite low, I doubt anyone will actually need it.....I'm taking it back off, it's just too low for the street

It's not too hard to switch, but you need to loosen the engine, take that chain off, take two set screws off.....put new gear on, re tension the chain...I can do it pretty fast...

All that said, I think the 10 tooth is perfect, assuming your large gear on your rear cassette is healthy size.

Last edited:
Back