Not going to keep trying to get my kit running...

Sketch

Local time
12:49 PM
I've had another gear failure with my 4-stroke honda kit, frame mounted. I guess I'm just not good at putting these things together or maintaining it correctly. I'm sad about it, but I'm going to give up trying to keep it running.

I posted an add to sell everything I have - could be a good deal for the right person. Hope you don't mind if I plug it here, the posting for it is in Buy/Sell/Trade:

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?p=277147#post277147

some posts (here on the forum) about problems with the q-matic, and with it's design, made me very skeptical about it. Is it any good? are there people who have got it and haven't had any trouble with it?

Also, I couldn't find anyone selling the q-matic without the engine. Anyone know where I would look for it without the engine?

Last edited:
Hi Sketch,

The hundreds of Q-Matics sold have worked out to be "bullet proof" and one of the most reliable drives available.

One of our vendors made a small run of pulleys that were cut incorrectly and resulted in 3 drives that developed belt wear issues. We no longer use the fabricated pulley and all drives now use the American made "Congress" brand.

I have over 4500 miles on the original Q-Matic drive and has been totally trouble free.

Due to demand the Q-Matic drive is available as a stand-alone product and can be ordered from any authorized EZM dealer. The Q-Matic has been installed on a large variety of motors including HF, Briggs & Stratton, Kohler, Honda, HS, Lifan, etc with great results.

The Q-Matic was originally designed to work with the hi-RPM motors [HS & Honda 49 CC] and in the process we located the clutch to the rear of the drive to allow the motor to rev quickly [less flywheel action], making it a great choice to transfer the maximum amount of power to the rear wheel.

Many, many, people on this site use the Q-Matic drive and I am sure several will offer additional information.

Have fun,

Thanks for the encouragement.

I spent a fair amount of time today on the phone with bicycle-engines.com and figured out what all I will need to make the conversion.

Here's what we came up with:

4G Complete Gearbox - Honda $139.99 bicycle-engines.com

Spenner wrench (to adjust belt tension) $6.99 bicycle-engines.com

26" HD Rim w/48T Freewheel & Brake $129.99 bicycle-engines.com

1pc to 3pc Wide Crank Conv. Kit $24.99 bicycle-engines.com

3pc Wide Crank Pedal Kit $29.99 bicycle-engines.com

Grubee Throttle handle $9.99 pistonbikes.com (mine broke)

Shipping (free for orders over $100) $0.00 bicycle-engines.com *Type in coupon code "FREESHIP"

Total $341.94

Back