nothin special

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by pelly, Jun 1, 2008.

1. pelly

pelly New Member

2. starkm32

starkm32 Member

Nice. Retro lookin.

Great to ride/rule the hills of Petaluma! :evil:

3. fastboy9

fastboy9 Member

That bike has a lot of potential! Im thinking board track racer? I like them handlebars a lot!

4. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I say go through it to make sure it all works well, but leave the finish alone and make it all look vintage- crust and all.

5. pelly

pelly New Member

yeah, checkin it out a little better would have been good. Just had to pull the rear fender, braces and engine chain guard out from under the rear wheel after the fender brace snapped, lockin it up under full throttle. It wasn't that bad, being that it's only a 24" bike, I was only going probably 20mph. The fenders tangled up and I had to bang out the chain guard, but I'm back up riding and not hurt. Would have been a different story if it was the front fender. Off with the fenders....

6. MasterLink

MasterLink Member

wow that got a good look to it i like how the motor fills that space up ..what is the bike is it a radio flyer ?

ps safety should come first go over that bike

7. pelly

pelly New Member

That's why I built it, I wanted to fill the open space... it is a 24" B&H Flyer(Baker and Hamilton) probably 40's or 50's, not really sure of the manufacturing date. It's small and dangerous to ride because of the bars. I may have to change em out. I may change the rear sprocket too, to see if I can't get some more speed out of it.

8. MasterLink

MasterLink Member

yea.. cool bike for sure ..iam sure you could sell the bars i seen a few bike on here with thos kind of bars

9. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

What about the bars makes it dangerous?

10. paint the engine bronze to complete the look!

11. pelly

pelly New Member

Well I'm 6'1" riding a 24" bike, when I make turns I have to remember to swing my knees out to avoid being hit by the bars. At low speed I've crashed because of my knee getting trapped by the bars and not being able to put my foot down... I was thinking about putting some shorter, more cafe style bars to avoid the problem, but I like the look and may just lay the seat back over the rear wheel more, and maybe install some pegs on the rear axle to put my feet on.

12. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Good point.

I ask because I have down-turned bars, but mine go straight across and down- not back. I made mine from plumbing pipe. I like mine and find them comfortable and safe. I am 6'3" and over 220#. However, my bike is a 26", my seat is very low and I have a short crank.

13. pelly

pelly New Member

what type of pipe did you use, threaded gas line? Sounds like what I need to do, I was thinking of using emt but I think it's too flimsy, maybe some rigid would work. You got any pictures of your bar set-up?

14. Accender

Accender Member

Dont paint that thing, It looks great!!
    Wonder how many MBers we have in Sonoma County? hmmm, mabey a mb meet sometime.

Looking Good

A

15. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Right- 1/2" nominal black pipe is almost 7/8" in outside diameter. Use that conduit to braze or weld in the middle so it is thicker- 1" in diameter, for the clamp. That's what I did.