Ohio Newb

Timmylikesthing

Local time
11:50 PM
Hello I'm Tim and I'm from Ohio, where MB's are pretty much illegal.

With that out of the way, I've come to this conclusion, the money I spend registering a MB ($25/year) and in some light duty insurance ($200/year), I are roughly the savings I could see in gas in about a month or two (I drive a beat up old '93 S-10 blazer). A hassle no doubt, but an overall savings, you betcha.

Originally I was thinking of a 50cc kit on a cruiser style with a full light rig (gotta be legal) powered by a 12V scooter battery (12 AH), just run turns and brake/tail LED and then run the headlight off the white wire so as to conserve battery (and let me get away with a smaller/lighter battery). It's going to cost around $150ish in lights, relays, switches, and battery but it should be worthwhile, if only to keep from getting hassled by the po-po.

But, since Ohio is going to make me register my MB like a motorcycle, well I'm going to go for more gusto. I'm going at least for the 70cc kits if not something more than that. I've thought about a pocket bike engine around 110cc but I want a frame mount, so I'm worried about clearances. Definitely want to cruise around 35-40 mph, with a touch more top end for those :eek: cases. The daily commute is around 25 miles one way, which is alot for a MB but with a bigger engine and a beef up of the bike all around, that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm an engineer by trade and my pops is an old school diesel mechanic. So far I haven't seen anything beyond my scope of ability, but if I get into it, I have the old man to fall back on.

Mostly just looking for some relief at the pumps and maybe for Ohio to loosen its laws on MB's (ha).

I love this place so far. There's just a wealth of information here.

Waiting for my Stimulus check/birthday so I can at least start getting the major components in (you know, like a bike... and a motor).

Hi everyone.
Tim

Hi Tim, and welcome to the forum. I have already had the benefit of your wisdom on one post already. Thank you for that. This is a real nice place with lots of nice people. They will help in any way that they can. As always, use the search feature before you ask a question in case it's already been answered. If you don't find anything then fire away. You will find many people willing to help.

Glad to have you here. Welcome!

look through the members list, find fellow ohioans, there is strenth in numbers. use the power you have. there are 5 members listed on the bottom this page. motoredbikers unite and kick ***--not moped get it? ride on mitch

Back