P85 cylinder plating issues

Research is always good. I knew of most of the potential problems with my BT80 before buying it. I have had some odd issues with my BT80 but none where major
If you can share your experiences that would be extremely helpful since I may grab one of those in the near future. Anything known issues as well as what you personally experienced is be grateful

I just see where it says it's a ceramic coating, my eyes are presently getting injections to save my sight, but I didn't see the word nikilsil in that ad you were showing from B-E.com did I miss it in the description???

There is no mention of ceramic being applied over nikilsil.
I was working under the assumption that they are assembling these engines the same as the other engines they market for these bikes. Most of those as far as I know have a thin layer or nickel or nikisil on the barrels of the heads since that's how they've always been made as far as I know. I highly doubt they just take a aluminum cylinder and hone it with the way these look they have to be using some sort of coating to create a sleeve on the cylinder walls. Aluminum or nickle or whatever they're using. But it's definitely a different alloy and color/composition than the rest of the jug/head

I was only pointing out that it was a ceramic coating not a ceramic layer as in a ceramic plating across the bore or a ceramic "sleeve" The cylinder doesn't LOOK honed. There's a plating on it. And it's peeling. It's definitely plated or coated with another material. I have rebuilt honed and plated engines many times. It has a at least .7mm layer of something else and not aluminum on the cylinder walls. I can take more photos if necessary
I just took the best pics I could take of that cylinder just now and it sure looks like its been machine honed to me, but again, I could be wrong...lol...won't be the first time either in my life...lol.

DSCN0376.JPG

DSCN0377.JPG

I just took the best pics I could take of that cylinder just now and it sure looks like its been machine honed to me, but again, I could be wrong...lol...won't be the first time either in my life...lol.

View attachment 193881

View attachment 193882
I didn't say it wasn't honed. I was saying that the cylinder walls don't look like they honed the aluminum head. It was nickle plated and THEN honed. Honing is just polishing

Im just thinking that the cast aluminum is a defective casting of a too soft aluminum alloy that they then applied the ceramic coating on haphazardly...Just submit the pics to them when you talk to them showing the flaking and peeling, they will replace it for you.

If you can share your experiences that would be extremely helpful since I may grab one of those in the near future. Anything known issues as well as what you personally experienced is be grateful
So here are my suggestions on the bt80 in no particular order.

Upgrade all of the electrical connections because they will rattle loose and cause a huge headache.

The clutch is a wet centrifugal clutch. There is lots of confusion information, it took me a while but I found out it is in fact wet.

40 chain is almost too wide for the engine side.

Most performance parts won't bolt on.

You can't use any aftermarket mounts for this engine.

Replacing the stock air filter gives a massive boost in power.

The pull starter brakes easily.

Lights are awesome.

If you idle too long the fuel in the float bowl will start to boil and the engine will die.

There is probably more I'm forgetting, pm me if you have any specific questions

Back